Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Was this a bad play?

Old
Was this a bad play? - Sun May 06, 2012, 02:16 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Opponent stats:
Seat 5 - 32/9 with a 3bet of 16.7
Seat 7 - 59/6 (Both only over about 20 hands)

How would you have played this?

Thanks!

Old
Sun May 06, 2012, 11:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Rbowl!

Welcome to the forum.
One question that I'd have is what type of tourney is this? Is it a cash tourney or a league game? The reason that I ask is that you'll get two totally different answers from me due to it.

In a cash toruney:
With JJ I'm going to make my std opening raise, which for me at this blind level is to 3BB or 450. I normally use 3BB as my std until the blinds get up to 100/200, then I lower it to 2.5BB, then lower it again to 2.2BB when I hit the 1k/2k blind level.
The player in seat 5 then makes a large 3-bet (would be wondering if this is a tell) that is called by seat 7 (not exactly surprising if the opp is playing 59% of hands). I then go into pokerstove to find the equity for my JJ and if I give the first opp a top 9% hand and even if the 2nd opp is playing only a top 6% hand (they should be much wider than this), I see that I'm the favorite in the hand with 36% equity.
As long as the large 3-bet was not a tell from the opp in seat 5 (would need a note on the player from past history to see if it was), then I'm shoving over them. I may be able to isolate 1 of the opps and if not, then I'm still making a +EV play, as I'll have more equity in my hand than I will into the pot. There's also the possibility that they may fold to a shove, which would basically double my stack.

If it's a league game:
I'm going to make my std open, then due to being in a multi-way pot where I don't know that I have the best hand... I'm mucking to their raise. I may be the equity favorite (36%) but that means that I'm losing and ko'ing myself from the tourney almost 2 out of 3 times. In a league game, it's never worth the risk to be all-in early in a tourney unless I'm 100% certain that I have the best hand.

When the hand is over, I'm definitely making a note on seat 5 that they will make unusually large 3-bets when they have a premium hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 06, 2012, 03:25 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
You shouldn't be looking at his 3b%, it's meaningless here. Sample size is only 20 hands so the times he's had the opportunity to 3b is even a smaller sample, 16.7% likely represents only 1 time that he's 3b so far.

I think this spot is close, the extra large 3b indicates a strong hand imo. I suspect we are an underdog to the 3-bettor, 32-9 indicates to me with this looseness he's probably flatting small and medium pairs and AQ, and we are behind a range of TT+ and AK (his likely 3b range). We can't really flat and play the flop out of position for this price, and if we jam I think we are mostly getting it in bad, so I would probably begrudgingly fold on a 27 bb stack here. It's close enough that in a fast structure where we will be falling below 20bb's soon anyway due to fast blinds (like in a turbo) I'll gamble here and get it in. Also the fish on the button does add some value as he's clearly calling with a terrible wide range, but if we're not doing well vs. the 3-bettor then he receives most of that value anyway.

Good post, nice spot.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 07, 2012, 02:56 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
Thanks for your help guys!

This was a cash Tourney by the way.
I Think i would fold in this spot next time. The blind levels for this tourney went up every 15mins, if I had folded to the 3bet I think i would have still had enough chips to find a better spot.
I'm hopefully going to start posting alot of the hands i have trouble with from now on.

Thanks again.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com