Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Rebuy Tournaments

Old
Rebuy Tournaments - Thu May 10, 2012, 05:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey guys!

I wanted some insight on Rebuy Tournaments or Rebuy/Add-on Tournaments (be it Live or online). How different you play them from the Freezeout Tournaments ? Do you have a chance to win without doing the Rebuy/Add-on ? How do you deal with the retardeds that get the rebuy and add-on thousands of times ( that even if they won it would be not too much regarding the money they had already spent ) ? Cuz specially on live low stake tournaments ($10 or so) there's always those old rich dudes who Rebuy/Add-on a thousand times thinking they are playing bingo lol.

if someone have also some article or video that would be relevant, I'd appreciate.

Thanks

Old
Thu May 10, 2012, 07:30 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
I personally think that it is not retarted to gamble much more in rebuy period and try to double up, also you can try to knockout those who do gamble a lot when you have a better stack
If you entering 10$ MTT just be prepared to invest more into it, cause it's different from a freezout
Easy to misscalculate your bankroll here.
And for add-on.. Ye I think it's a must thing

Old
Thu May 10, 2012, 08:17 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
I bankroll a re-buy / add-on tournament to 4x buy-in at the start.

So a buy-in + double re-buy + add-on.

Then make your buy-in last as long as you can and observe the table.

Watch for those who stack off and double re-buy time and time again. They provide greater equity to the eventual prize pool.

Check the lobby and find out how many BBs a double re-buy gets you near the end of the re-buy period.

Start making moves and try to double through - you want to get to the add-on period.

Plan before entering the tournament 1 or 2 double re-buys if you can bank roll it.

You want a decent chip stack when the add-on period is over and you find out the total prize pool and places paid.

Good luck.

Old
Thu May 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
(#4)
Yeah, I think I should be prepared for the Rebuys and Add-ons. Cuz at the end, the prize pool will be much more inflated, so it acctually pays itself.

Old
Fri May 11, 2012, 07:53 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
Just thought i would add this in here.

One of my club members and friend is doing very well with re-buy/add-on tourneys. Being we are american we are not playing here at stars but the structure of the game is the same.

He has definitely opened my eyes as to how to attack these types of tourneys and yes there are a lot of re-buys and doesn't always get you where you want to be which is in the money but when he does get ITM he goes very deep with several final tables this month alone totaling for thousands of $$.

I think personally watching someone like this is better than any book or video because it is actually being applied as you watch and is from a regular player like most of us here and not a professional player who's living is poker.

Not knocking our pro's and trainers here for they are insightful with their abundance of knowledge but watching a trainer/pro play a MTT is like watching a heavy weight boxer get into a common bar fight. It wouldn't surprise you when he wins and it was kind of expected.

Old
Fri May 11, 2012, 12:11 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker41673 View Post
Just thought i would add this in here.

One of my club members and friend is doing very well with re-buy/add-on tourneys. Being we are american we are not playing here at stars but the structure of the game is the same.

He has definitely opened my eyes as to how to attack these types of tourneys and yes there are a lot of re-buys and doesn't always get you where you want to be which is in the money but when he does get ITM he goes very deep with several final tables this month alone totaling for thousands of $$.

I think personally watching someone like this is better than any book or video because it is actually being applied as you watch and is from a regular player like most of us here and not a professional player who's living is poker.

Not knocking our pro's and trainers here for they are insightful with their abundance of knowledge but watching a trainer/pro play a MTT is like watching a heavy weight boxer get into a common bar fight. It wouldn't surprise you when he wins and it was kind of expected.

haha yeah watching the pros certainly makes it look easy lol.

I think I'll start to play live tournamens in my city, but all of them are Re-buy/Addo-on, so you have to be prepared to spend more then the Buy-in, but also expect a larger prize if u win of course.

I was just a little worried about the the players skills compared to the ones u find here on Poker Stars. And also worried with the crazy dudes that make a lot of rebuys but don't know how to play poker.

Old
Fri May 11, 2012, 12:28 PM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_boss77 View Post
haha yeah watching the pros certainly makes it look easy lol.

I think I'll start to play live tournamens in my city, but all of them are Re-buy/Addo-on, so you have to be prepared to spend more then the Buy-in, but also expect a larger prize if u win of course.

I was just a little worried about the the players skills compared to the ones u find here on Poker Stars. And also worried with the crazy dudes that make a lot of rebuys but don't know how to play poker.
I don't know if you should worry about those crazy people, opposite, you need to look for them and play them.
When I play cash games online, I always looking for loose tables, where people are splashing money back and forth

Old
Fri May 11, 2012, 01:00 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCoolStory View Post
I don't know if you should worry about those crazy people, opposite, you need to look for them and play them.
When I play cash games online, I always looking for loose tables, where people are splashing money back and forth
You're right lol. In the end is these crazy weak players that will give us profit.

Old
Fri May 11, 2012, 11:22 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
if u play a live rebuy tourney in missouri. u have to tell them at the cashier gate how many times u want to rebuy and if u want to add-on BEFORE u even sit down at the table because missouri gaming laws say u can't rebuy at the table! i found out this little tidbit of knowledge when i play a rebuy tourney at harrah's in st. louis. really hurts u in the strategy department if u ask me

Old
Sat May 12, 2012, 10:31 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup143 View Post
if u play a live rebuy tourney in missouri. u have to tell them at the cashier gate how many times u want to rebuy and if u want to add-on BEFORE u even sit down at the table because missouri gaming laws say u can't rebuy at the table! i found out this little tidbit of knowledge when i play a rebuy tourney at harrah's in st. louis. really hurts u in the strategy department if u ask me
Yeah, I agree. Cuz if you're chip leader u should be less likely to rebuy or add-on. So u can't make a good decision without knowing your stack compared to the others when it's the rebuy time.

Old
Thu May 17, 2012, 08:15 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2011
I'm not a big fan of rebuy tournaments myself, especially micro levels, the amount of players who just insta shove first 50 hands is just tilting. There isn't much play in them for good players until the late stages where you can actually start playing some poker. If you feel like you have a big advantage over a lot of players then as soon as the tournament starts i would probably double re-buy straight away and try to get maximum value with your big hands, being patient for the first few levels is vital, then soon enough someone will shove when you have the goods. I think if your going to give them a go then a tighter style at the beginning and loosen up towards the money is the best way to play them.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com