Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1 45 blind vs blind, got myself into a tricky spot

Old
$1 45 blind vs blind, got myself into a tricky spot - Sat May 12, 2012, 04:14 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

The opener has been very tight and is like a 15 and 5 over at least 50 hands, but that was mainly due to the start of the tournament he has picked up aggression like I have as we approach the final table and antes kick in with his small blind steal percentage at 70%. Given that he is fairly tight and i am on an awkward stack of over 20bb i don't like 3bet shoving its just to many chips. I think i should flat here looking at it now, especially because i don't like 3bet folding and if he 4bets me its not a great spot either?

Old
Sat May 12, 2012, 10:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi darkmajik!

One question I'd have... was the opp, at this time in the tourney, playing more toward the 15/5 or the 70% steal number. One is tight, the other is loose and this is going to be critical information for ranging the opp.
Against a top 15% hand, I'm only a 51.3% favorite to win the hand and would expect to most likely be in a race. Against a top 70% hand, I'm a 2-1 favorite. Against a top 5% hand, I'm a 2-1 dog.

With 6 at the table, there's somewhere between 11-13 left and the top 7 cash. There is only the one short stack at my table, so unless the other table is a huge stack and the rest shorties... then I probably need to get more chips in order to get ITM.

When the opp raises here, I'm either going to 3-bet or fold here... and if I 3-bet, I'm ready to call a 4-bet shove.
I don't like flatting, as the opp could easily have 2 overcards here and when an over (or 2 or 3 overs) hits on the flop, I'll be in a sticky situation, as I wouldn't know if they've hit or are c-bet bluffing at me.

This is where the read info will come into play. If the opp is really playing a top 15% hand (or even tighter with a 5% preflop raise), then I'm going to muck to his raise and look for a better situation. If the opp is playing a top 70% hand, then I'm a 66% favorite and will have almost 50% into the pot.

Most likely, I would think the opp here is going to be tight, not loose and I'm going to muck here, still have a very playable stack and look for a better spot. I shouldn't need that many more chips to get ITM and would hope that with 28BB, I can find a better spot.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com