Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl 6max to 3bet or not to 3bet... for that is the question

Old
2nl 6max to 3bet or not to 3bet... for that is the question - Tue May 15, 2012, 07:04 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

CO = 30/17 af 1fld to 3bet 0 (1 sample)
BTN = 52/7 af 5 3 bet 5.9
both samples are 50 hands

i find my self more and more in these types of situations namley in the SB with good cards but not brilliant facing a desision weather or not to 3 bet.

my thinking is that if we flat we allow weaker hands to call but were are out of posstion in a mutiway pot
were as if we 3 bet again were out of postion in a bloted pot heads up

so what are your thoughts and what should we be aiming for here

Old
Tue May 15, 2012, 11:07 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi PP,

I would look at what the cut off''s steal % is from this position. The sample size is very small but if his CO steal is 4/6 or something like that, then there's a much better than average chance he's opening light.

In either case I'm inclined to 3B a spot like this because the button is so fishy playing 52/7, we know we are well ahead of his range and he will call us with many worse hands. It's true we're out of position against him but inflating the pot removes some of the positional advantage, and this is an opponent type who may well not utilize his position as a weapon anyway. That, plus having the initiative and the best hand mitigate the concern some as well.

Flatting is not a terrible alternative, but we will be simply playing to hit the flop then and may not be sure how to best proceed in a multi-way pot when we do, so I think 3b to iso the button and take the initiative is how I would proceed.

And before you ask , if the original raiser comes back over the top of us AJ is a very easy fold. I won't give the guy credit for 4-betting light until I see him do it, and his entire 4b value range smashes AJ.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 15, 2012, 11:15 AM
(#3)
thanks dave as per usual your a dimond!!!!

on quicky if the fish was to 4bet us what would you do then?

Old
Tue May 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerspants View Post
on quicky if the fish was to 4bet us what would you do then?
Ha I thought you might ask that too.

I would get it in vs. him... he's so fishy I think we'll catch him spazzing out often enough it should be profitable. Guys like this don't flat/back raise often so don't worry too much about it.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 05:20 AM
(#5)
sorry dave last question i promise!

would you still 3bet iso the BTN if we knew he was a calling station and very unlikly to fold anything when we whiff the flop and cbet

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Calling stations don't call anything. They whiff the flop a lot too and while a station will call down with bottom pairs and ace highs, they don't call down with hands like 95s on flops of J83.

But yes I would still 3b, even more inclined to do so. We're losing a ton of value not inflating the pot vs. that type of player. We won't be able to bluff them out when we miss and they hit a piece, but that's never where our value comes from vs. stations, it comes from taking them to value town when we have the best hand. By isolating and inflating the pot, we may lose a small amount more when we miss and they don't, but we are setting ourselves up to drive them to value town in a limo instead of a taxi, the net gains are much better in the long run.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 17, 2012, 05:49 AM
(#7)
cheers dave you are a star

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com