Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Bad Read, still good call?

Old
Bad Read, still good call? - Tue May 15, 2012, 07:07 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar

Old
Tue May 15, 2012, 07:25 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
with flop coming 282, I was thinking when it hit, this guy has a 2, then the 3rd 2 came on the turn, and was really thinking this guy has a 2, but still had to call it down with 88.

Old
Tue May 15, 2012, 07:45 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
**moved**

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 15, 2012, 08:14 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Now I don't have to worry that my 'pretend AQ' in the PSO Knockout tourney was the most lame bluff attempt you've ever faced

Last edited by TrustySam; Tue May 15, 2012 at 08:18 PM..

Old
Tue May 15, 2012, 11:01 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Stake!

Preflop, I could either raise or flat here with 88 (I'd want to do what I had been doing, to keep it consistant and keep someone from getting a read on me).

I flop top full house but there are 2 clubs on the board. While I'd like to keep the opps in the hand, with 3 opps in, I'm going to try and rep a small pkt pair that is protecting against the flush here and will bet about 3/4 pot (375). When the opp calls, I'd be putting them on a pkt pair (which should have missed the board unless it's 22) or floating with 2 overs.

The turn puts the third 2 on the board. I'm going to make my std 1/2 pot bet here. Anything less looks like I floated the flop with 2 overs, due to the small bets on the flop/turn. If I were the opp and wanted to bluff, with the two small bets, here's where I'd do it too. A raise here looks like a small pocket pair that now has a full house. I wouldn't necessarily put them on a 2, as quads should smooth call and raise the river.... so that they don't drive me out of the hand and lose value. I'd be calling their raise here.

The river gives a J, which could have hit the opp if they floated and since they raised the turn, I'd check to them on the river. Here is where a read on the opp would play in for me. If the opp was not very aggressive, i'm raising the river here. If the opp was known to shove the river, then I'd just call them. Yes, the opp could have JJ or ... but I'm willing to take that chance.

I wouldn't be mucking here, even if I raise the river, I'm prepared to call a shove.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 12:07 AM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2010
You had a very strong hand Stake! I agree 100% with John!

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 12:16 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Stake,

I thought about another option too. If I made a larger bet on the flop, then instead of leading the turn, I might also go for a check/raise on the turn but only if the opp was known to be an aggro.

If I did this, then I'd absolutely have to lead the river though.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 12:38 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
I didn't have much in the way of notes on this guy, as I had just registerred late, and this was the
1st hand I was in on. Figured he could have been limping in with just about anything, although, like I posted, put him on having a 2 post flop, as when I bet, he flatted, which is why I played it safe, as I didn't really want to get taken out in the first hand I played.

As for the hand analysis: I didn't ask for it, all I asked was a question for the masses of PSO to give their thoughts, as something the community could think about. Ergo why I put it in the community forum, not the hand replayer forum, or the hand analysis forum. I'd like it put back please and thank you.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com