Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

donk-betting

Old
donk-betting - Tue May 15, 2012, 08:10 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
I have been reasonably annoyed lately by people calling my raises and then leading out right into me on the flop, especially in short-handed situations when I am not deep enough to call. Here I tried that play myself, having two overs and a gutshot as a back-up plan. Obviously, it did not work out. Villain is kind of weak-tight. Any comments are much appreciated.
Olaf

Poker Stars $1.32+$0.18 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t75/t150 Blinds - 5 players

UTG: t2853 19.02 BBs
CO: t1788 11.92 BBs
BTN: t1855 12.37 BBs
SB: t5093 33.95 BBs
Hero (BB): t1911 12.74 BBs

Pre Flop: (t225) Hero is BB with K:spade: Q:spade:
2 folds, BTN raises to t300, 1 fold, Hero calls t150

Flop: (t675) 7:diamond: 9:club: J:club: (2 players)
Hero bets t371, BTN raises to t1555 all in, Hero folds

Final Pot: t1417
BTN wins t1417

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 12:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Olaf!

Preflop, out of position, I could either call or 3-bet here. If the button was known to steal a bunch of pots, then I'd be more in favor of raising, as my hand would play better against a wider range.

The flop gives 2 overs and a gutshot draw, which is 10 outs if all are good. Here's another spot where a read on the opp is necessary. Would the opp raise with 2 overcards or would they have to have a pair or better to raise? If the opp had Jx, then they easily could compromise some of my outs, as KJ or QJ are well within their range.
To call the opp's raise, it would cost me 1184 into a pot that will be 3043 (38.9%).
If all 10 outs are good, then I have 40% hand equity and it's a call. If I think the opp could have a K or Q and a pair, then I won't have the equity to call and need to muck.

Reads in these types of situations mean a ton to me. If the opp was weak tight and shoves, then most likely they have at least top pair, if not higher.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
(#3)
Thanks! Yes, I think I have to fold, despite the pot odds, I put him on AJ or better, no reason to risk my tournament.
May I ask again about my donk bet? Was that donkey-like or a reasonable play?

Olaf

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 04:37 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Olaf!

It depends on the opp. You do have many outs, so I could very easily make a donk bet here, basically as a blocker to keep my draws priced in. The key would be to make it small enough that I was priced in for my draws.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 06:28 PM
(#5)
Thanks!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com