Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Folding QQ on AKT flop to a donk-bet-shove

Old
Question
Folding QQ on AKT flop to a donk-bet-shove - Wed May 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
It was the first blind level of a 1.50 knockout 90man sng. Netscaper, who opens for 4bb had just lost a good portion of his stack by calling a shove of 1500 chips (yes, first level, blinds 10-20) from the player on the sb after opening 4bb. (Netscaper had KQs and sb, AQs). I usually know a lot of players from these 1.50 90man, but since I was playing at a time I usually never play, I wasan't familiar with any of them. So, Netscaper opens again for his 4bb standard raise and I 3 bet with my QQ, he calls... The flop comes KQT rainbow and he shoves the rest of his chips. I thought he could have made that open and called a 3bet with a wide range, but not any two, calling a shove pre with QKs on this stage of the tournament is loose, but QKs is still a good hand. Therefore I figured he could very well have called my 3 bet with broadway cards, suited aces and suited kings and pocket pairs. I thought him moving all in on that flop could only mean that he had cought a peace of it, because that's just the kind of flop that a 3better would hit most of the time, isn't it? So I assumed he thought I had a pretty good hand on that flop and was shoving for value. In hindsight, I think he would have done that with any two cards, because after winning that hand he got short stacked again by calling a shove with 52s!!! Anyways, It was a spot where I didn't really want to make a call nor to fold, but ended up on the nitty side. What do you guys/girls think? I just hated that fold..

p.s. By talking about Netscaper's game I in any way mean to offend or berate the player. I was just expressing the reads I had for didactic purposes. I would rather have no names displayed on the hand replayer, but I don't think it's able to do that. So no hard feelings Net.

Last edited by labs22; Wed May 16, 2012 at 01:00 PM..

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 02:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
With out prior knowledge of the player, having been beaten by QQ so many times, and with the flop as it came i would most certainly also have folded to his all inn. It is so difficult to fold QQ but in my humble view, the first target must be to reach the bubble, and a fold is far better when the flop goes against you, than to get busted so early. Just my view for what its worth.

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 03:05 PM
(#3)
Yeah, I've just learned to fold JJ, but I still love those QQ. But I'm feeling much better towards the fold. I've just won the tournament after a large period of min cashes. But now I'm just being results oriented....

Last edited by labs22; Wed May 16, 2012 at 03:10 PM..

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi labs,

I think you've played the hand really well. I like a nice big 3bet with your value hand vs a possibly loose player. However this is just a nightmare flop for you. This guy will have lots of Ax & Kx in his range. He's probably not a good player from what you've described so it probably doesn't occur to him that you could have a big Ace, so he can be bluffy but I wouldn't just assume that about anyone early until you explicitly seen it.
As sick as it is that this guy gets away with it, we have to fold here. I don't mind gambling early in a SnG but I think we are behind here more often than ahead.

Well played!
Andy

PS
Reading your post before viewing the hand I thought you had hit the set vs a possible straight. on a KQT flop. Hitting a set it's absolutely a call since loose players will be shoving two pair, top pairs and maybe even middle pair, and more likely to slow play a straight. There are way more combos we beat than straights (not to mention your outs to a fullhouse)

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 03:53 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by labs22 View Post
p.s. By talking about Netscaper's game I in any way mean to offend or berate the player. I was just expressing the reads I had for didactic purposes. I would rather have no names displayed on the hand replayer, but I don't think it's able to do that. So no hard feelings Net.
The hand history is a text file so take a copy of the bit you want to use and search replace each players name in turn and replace with 'Player 1', 'Player 2' etc. and use that for the replayer.

I think that should work.

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 10:06 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahar010 View Post
PS
Reading your post before viewing the hand I thought you had hit the set vs a possible straight. on a KQT flop. Hitting a set it's absolutely a call since loose players will be shoving two pair, top pairs and maybe even middle pair, and more likely to slow play a straight. There are way more combos we beat than straights (not to mention your outs to a fullhouse)
Yeah. I think I typed KQT because that would be the flop I was hopping to see. Never folding a set on that spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Minute View Post
The hand history is a text file so take a copy of the bit you want to use and search replace each players name in turn and replace with 'Player 1', 'Player 2' etc. and use that for the replayer.

I think that should work.
Thanks for the tip, Henry.

Tank you all for the answers. I'm feeling much more secure about that play now.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com