Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

JJ v Tight Player

Old
JJ v Tight Player - Thu May 17, 2012, 08:06 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Ok, we are a few levels into a 10man SnG. Starting stack = 10,000. Blinds 100/200. Buy in is $1.

I had been playing fairly tight, but had won the last two hands - once with a flop bet as BB and I raised from SB with QQ last hand a took a few limpers.

This hand I am on the button and have JJ. It folds to a very tight player in middle position who raises to 500. Im fairly certain this is the first hand she has voluntarily entered pre-flop.

It folds to me. The SB is very tight and the BB is likely to see the flop with any 2 cards.

Q1: Raise or flat?

Ok, so I called the 500 and both SB and BB folded (I was amazed!).

Flop is 9h, 7c, 6h. Pot is 1300. Opponent checks.

Ok, so the board is a bit scary looking, but unless the opponent has AQ of heart, im not too worried about the flush or straight yet. I am still worried about an overpair to my JJ, or maybe 99.

However, with any of her starting big pairs, she would be likely to bet to protect against all the draws, so I am a bit wary at this stage.

I bet 400 into 1300 as a sort of blocker type bet. Checking the flop looks too weak and an A/K/Q on the turn is terrible, as is any heart.

Opponent calls. Turn is 7s.

Opponent checks again. I bet again 1300 into 2100. Opponent calls very quickly.

River is 5h. Opponent shoves all-in (8200) into a pot of 4700.

Now what?

Even though I have been playing tight, winning the last 2 pots may have altered my image slightly, so she could be bluffing light with AK/AQ that missed? I had discounted 99 from the way she played the flop, and other higher pairs seemed unlikely?

I folded as it was early stages and I could find better spots, but the way she played this hand puzzled me.

Cheers,

James

Old
Thu May 17, 2012, 09:37 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I would not discount trips, especially if you had been betting your hands aggressively. Slow playing big hands is common. More likely IMO was a heart draw. It is quite common for micro stakes players to make a big over bet on the river when they make their draw. On rare occasions you will run into a player that will use a big overbet as a bluff. Until you can definitely put the opponent in the last category, folding is the way to go.

Old
Thu May 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi James!

Preflop, with an extremely tight player, I'm going to flat here too. If I was out of position I'd raise, but against 1, maybe 2 opps, I'll flat.

The flop brings a possible flush, straight or combo draw... but... against an extremely tight opp, I'm discounting the straight, as they're most likely playing AQ+ or pkt pairs. The only way a straight would be is if they started with 8's, 10's or 5's.
I'm going to make a value bet here that prices out a flush and 2 overcards (if they have hearts, then they'll most likely have 2 overs to, so 15 outs), so I need to bet at least 3/4 pot. By betting any less than this, I'm pricing in the opp to draw to this by making their call a +EV play.

The turn pairs the board and I'm basically in the same situation. I have to bet at least 3/4 pot, or I price in the draw.

The river completes the flush. With the opp calling along all the way and then shoving, they either hit the board (and now have a full house, quads or a flush) or total air. An extremely tight player that has not shown the tendency to bluff is not mormally going to shove a river with air, so basically all the time, they'll have one of the 3 made hands... and all beat my JJ. Due to this, I'm folding here pretty easily.

They could have the flush, but with their quick call on the turn, it would not surprise me at all for them to show a full house or even quad 7's here.
Many players both live and online will slowplay a set on the flop (which loses them value and also sets them up to get outdrawn more often than they should) and this looks like it could be a good example of it.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com