Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL10 KQo river value shove?

Old
NL10 KQo river value shove? - Sun May 20, 2012, 04:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
[converted_hand][hand_history]Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10, $0.02 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $27.50 (275 bb)
SB: $28.29 (282.9 bb)
BB: $27.55 (275.5 bb)
UTG: $25.30 (253 bb)
Hero (MP): $10.73 (107.3 bb)
CO: $17.86 (178.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q:club: K:heart:
UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.30, BTN folds, SB calls $0.25, BB folds

Flop: ($1.12) 4:heart: 8:spade: Q:heart: (3 players)
SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $1.30, CO folds, SB calls $1.10

Turn: ($3.72) 2:heart: (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $2, SB calls $2

River: ($7.72) Q:diamond: (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $7.11 and is all-in, SB calls $7.11

Villain's stats: VPIP:58 PFR:6 Agg freq: 25% H:33

He seems to be a loose-passive guy. Against him I think the flop and the turn is pretty standard, but what about the river? The shove is good here? I thinked that when I'm on the river, if he has a flush he would raise me on the turn, but he didn't, so I thinked that he has a weaker Qx or maybe sometimes an 8x or a 4x here.

Old
Sun May 20, 2012, 05:39 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Nocco.

I think your river shove is fine in light of what you put up.

The opp here is pretty passive though, so it is not necessarily a given he would raise a flush on the turn (especially if you have been reasonably aggro, and he thinks you might keep betting), but he is not SO passive post flop (25% agg factor) that I can really fault you assuming he would. In large part it is your turn decision which dictates your river action when the 3rd Q falls, so if there is reason to bet top pair/2nd Kicker on the turn, then betting trips with a K kicker is probably a good idea on the river as well.

Your turn bet left you with just under a full pot bet, so if you are going to bet the river for value, the only bet that makes sense is a move all in. Versus an pretty passive opp, I do not think there is much sense in trying to get "tricky" by betting to hopefully induce a shove; this guy is too likely to just flat call that sort of bet.

So as I said, your line looks fine to me, given the info you provide!

hope it helps!

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com