Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Overcard pair - What can we do about it?

Old
Overcard pair - What can we do about it? - Mon May 21, 2012, 07:21 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2012

This happened in a Play money Mixed Hold'Em MTT just today. (Can this topic be moved to the right area? I realized I posted in the wrong forum.)

I have a few times where someone happens to have top pair on the board. It's very, very easy to figure that out. But I've been wondering on just how we can detect someone has an over-pair and get out of it quickly. Especially when playing a MTT, this can bust you out pretty fast if you're not careful.

Well, my thoughts were probably from judging the pre-flop raise, it could signify a powerful hand in the making. (That would be my Kings) And by re-raising with the kings it shows I am very certain I can top the top pair. Perhaps we can realize this before we get too caught in this scenario so we don't lose our butt over it like this fellow player did to me.

Last edited by kitoko-ki; Mon May 21, 2012 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Please move this. Sorry!

Old
Mon May 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi kit,

It sounds like you're asking from the perspective of the opponent here, how can they determine when someone has an overpair and avoid getting stacked.

First of all you can never determine their exact holding in a spot like this, but you can determine their likely holding by practicing ranging them, determining their range of hands, which if they are playing it like an overpair should weigh heavily in their range. The second part, how can you avoid losing your stack is easy. Don't limp in with Q5o, don't call raises out of position with Q5o, don't go crazy with Q5o on a Q high flop with deep stacks. It's not rocket science why this player lost his chips, but as you said it was a play chip tournament so either they have no idea what they're doing or they were just goofing around.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com