Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

77 in BB vs UTG and SB

Old
77 in BB vs UTG and SB - Thu May 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
PokerStars Hand #80949363358: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02 USD) - 2012/05/24 14:55:04 ET
Table 'Meliboea' 6-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: eLMaRlacI1 ($1 in chips)
Seat 2: Daanmel ($1.17 in chips)
Seat 3: easywestkeys ($2.18 in chips)
Seat 4: animosama ($2.69 in chips)
Seat 5: papaStiflera ($4.42 in chips)
Seat 6: Desdhicado ($1.39 in chips)
easywestkeys: posts small blind $0.01
animosama: posts big blind $0.02
eLMaRlacI1: posts small blind $0.01
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to animosama [7c 7s]
papaStiflera: raises $0.04 to $0.06
Desdhicado: folds
eLMaRlacI1: folds
Daanmel: folds
easywestkeys: calls $0.05
animosama: calls $0.04
*** FLOP *** [7h 8s Qd]
easywestkeys: bets $0.06
animosama: calls $0.06
papaStiflera: calls $0.06
*** TURN *** [7h 8s Qd] [Th]
easywestkeys: bets $0.06
animosama: raises $0.14 to $0.20
papaStiflera: raises $0.50 to $0.70
easywestkeys: calls $0.64
animosama: raises $0.84 to $1.54
papaStiflera: raises $2.76 to $4.30 and is all-in
easywestkeys: calls $1.36 and is all-in
animosama: calls $1.03 and is all-in
Uncalled bet ($1.73) returned to papaStiflera
*** RIVER *** [7h 8s Qd Th] [5d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
animosama: shows [7c 7s] (three of a kind, Sevens)
papaStiflera: shows [9s Js] (a straight, Eight to Queen)
papaStiflera collected $0.99 from side pot
easywestkeys: mucks hand
papaStiflera collected $6.32 from main pot

UTG was crushing the table from what I saw. he was getting good hands so I thought maybe he's is just run good.

SB was loose and semi aggressive he will try to bluff and also is not a solid player. He also will pay you off with 2nd pair, marginal hands etc.

UTG 17/10 30 hands
SB 50/17 6 hands

Also I am wondering if I should have fast played the hand for this scenario happened to me the second time today where I slow play the flop and the oppenent spiked a gutter and I paid him off.

Is it possible to lay down hands like these ?

Old
Fri May 25, 2012, 06:31 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Animosama.

I gotta be honest, in this spot I am really not in love with a slow play of bottom set on the flop.

The guy who donk led is the one who you say is likely to pay off weak, so why not make him start by raising right away?

While this isn't a totally wet flop, there are some draws that could be there, as well as a decent number of cards which could come that might sap your action (A/K), or cause you to be beaten (6/9/T/J). I do get the desire to slow play, as the pot is still pretty small in relation to the money left in the stacks, but why not give a calling station the chance to do what he does best: call bad?

When the turn comes, I think your raise is fine. When Papastiflera 3bets strong though AND Easywestkeys calls, I think it is time to assess how far form the nut hand your set is, and look at the chances you have to catch up if you ARE beat.

- 9/6, 9/J, 88, QQ, TT all beat you.

- Versus J9/69 you have 10 outs and around a 22% chance to boat or quad the river.
- Versus 88/QQ/TT you have 1 out and about a 2.2% chance to quad the river.

I think that if you found a set worthy of a slow play the you can figure Papastiflera might have as well, and 88/TT/QQ are all likely in the range of a 17/10 player pre flop at a 6 max table.

I doubt seriously I'd be ready to FOLD my set of 7s here, since QT and various 2 way draws on the turn might bet this way on this depth of money, but I also do not think I'd be truly ready to get my stack in either simply because this much action can be a pretty strong indicator that the 6th nut hand might be no good.

You did go ahead and raise again, leaving yourself just $1.03 in a pretty fat pot, so when Papastiflera put you in I think a "call and pray" is in order.

Realistically, it was probably Easywestkeys poor decisions that led you to over look the chance you might be crushed here, as his calls certainly fattened the pot. While I'd not really expect a 17/10 player to show up with J9 or 96 all that often here, QT is really about the only hand he might conceivably play like this that you beat. I cannot say the 5 on the river would have "saved you" with less than a pot size bet left in your stack on the river, but a bet/fold line, check/fold, or check/call small line might have been possible to save you from stacking completely off when you do not boat the river.

So I kind of doubt you are going to avoid losing a pretty decent chunk here Animosama, but even saving some can be a plus/plus when you flop a set and it all goes belly up to a gut shot.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com