Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 6 max KKCO vs SB vs BB

Old
2NL 6 max KKCO vs SB vs BB - Sun May 27, 2012, 04:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011

No reads first hand against opponent

Could this situation have been avoided ?

or What can I actually do in situations like these ?

Old
Sun May 27, 2012, 04:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Animosama.

Yep, you can ALWAYS avoid a situation where you stack off completely with a 100BB stack. The real question is can you do it and play WELL in a spot like this?

I don't think so...

Your raise on the BTN when it folded to you was fine of course. KK is the 2nd nut hand pre flop, and if you aren't going to raise that for value when you have no clue (because of your lack of reads) that a trickier line might be better what are you going to raise?

When the SB 3bets, he can easily think you are on a steal and be trying to bet you off your hand.

When the BB calls the 3bet, he can think the SB was just trying to steal, and figures that you may well fold position to him because you made a lite raise. This is why I like your 4bet in that spot with the 2nd nut hand.

Your sizing choice for your 4bet was a good one, you made it 54c to go over a 3bet to 16c and a call, and again trying a trickier line without info on the opponents could easily have just cost you value.

That 4bet sizing though put you over 25% into the pot, so when the SB jams into your 2nd nut hand, he probably has a pretty strong hand, but you still hold the 2nd nut. Folding would have been pretty "meh" in the face of no specific info that the opp might ONLY jam AA in this spot. There are simply so many hands he MIGHT elect to jam here that the fact there is 1 hand that has you crushed, and that he could be jamming that hand, is not a good reason to fold off over 25% of your stack in my opinion.

So I think you COULD have folded here Animosama, but that would have been a pretty BAD decision. You played this one just fine and got unlucky.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Sun May 27, 2012 at 04:57 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com