Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Small pocket pairs

Old
Small pocket pairs - Wed May 30, 2012, 04:45 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hi all, this is kind of a mathematical and theoretical question. I plugged in small pocket pairs like 22, 33 into Pokerstove and realised that they are a slight underdog to high suited connectors. Somehow JTs's equity will be higher than AKs's.

22 vs JTs : 46.1% vs 53.8% 22 vs AKs: 50.1% vs 49.9%

1) Why are small pocket pairs' equity lower than top suited connectors?

2) Does this mean that when we are against shoves by loose short stackers (willing to shove 22+) it is profitable calling with JTs+?

Regards,
Lee

Old
Wed May 30, 2012, 04:57 AM
(#2)
Haha I take back my second question. I realised that it's impossible to put them just on 22, 33 or 44. And most of the time they won't just have the bottom pairs when they shove. So it's definitely not profitable calling with JTs+ (IF they only shove pocket pairs).

But if they ALSO shove any broadways, AKs will be a good call.

Old
Wed May 30, 2012, 11:42 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

If you are around later you may get this one answered in live training.

Old
Wed May 30, 2012, 12:38 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
1) I'm not totally sure. I noticed the same thing you did a week or two ago. Kind of surprised me too!

Old
JTs vs AKs - Wed May 30, 2012, 01:13 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
JTs has more ways to make a straight than AKs. Against a small pocket pair they have the same chance of making a better pair or a flush, so overall JTs has more equity.

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 30, 2012, 08:10 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Yeah I mean it makes sense. It's just not very intuitive.

Old
Wed May 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Yep, right on about the straights.

AKs plays much better than JTs vs. a short stacks wide shoving range, because AK is ahead of all non-pair hands, while JTs is behind and even dominated by some of them.

Thanks for the class shout out Forrest!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 30, 2012, 11:15 PM
(#8)
Ok thanks a lot ppl!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com