Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Limping the SB

Old
Limping the SB - Wed May 30, 2012, 04:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
I'm playing some micro MTT and there are a lot of loose and passive players. And I usually find my self folding a lot of hands on teh SB when I could just limp some of then. Especially when the blinds start to raise.

I learned that u should play the oposite of what your players are playing. In other words, if they playing loose, I should play tight. But I think I was folding too much hands on the SB.

So I wanted u guys opinions to what hands I could just limp behind instead of just folding ? Since I noticed that I was throwing away a lot of chips waiting for hands good enough to raise.

Thanks !

Old
Wed May 30, 2012, 04:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
It is normal to lose chips in the long run when you are in the blinds. You have to put in chips on hands you would throw away in other positions. When you do enter the action, you are out of position post flop. Just completing the blind, means you don't have the initiative. By completing you digging yourself a hole then trying to climb out of it.. If you are running a HUD you might filter your results for this situation and see if you are losing more or less than if you just folded, ie 1/2 BB per hand.

Hope this helps
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Lightbulb
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 09:45 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2012
like bearxing said above you will loose money in the sb in the long run simply because you will be out of position everytime
fold>raise>call , if you feal like you want to play the hand raise at least to take the initiative in the hand or take the blinds

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 12:37 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi fp_boss77!

Completing from the SB is one of the most common and largest chip leaks that many players have. The way that I look at it when I'm in the SB is that... if I won't raise with the hand that I have, I'm mucking it.
The reason for the chip leak is that even if I hit the flop, I'm out of position and even if I hit top pair, I won't have a great kicker (or I'd have raised pre) and could easily lose a large pot due to it.

I'd much rather save my chips for a hand where I either have a better hand or I'm in position and can use that to my advantage.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com