Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Starting to give up.

Old
Starting to give up. - Wed May 30, 2012, 04:50 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011
In the last few months I have been playing MTT's on a regular basis between $2-$6. I am currently on one of the worst runs in poker that i have ever had, i still have about $170 to grind, obviously my bankroll management could be better but im playing a lot of sit n go's as well in the range of $1-$3. I have found myself losing all in's in key spots constantly and no longer feel positive anymore when im playing. My AA and KK always get cracked by much weaker hands such as QJ AK and lower pairs. I feel like my game has been pretty solid and haven't done many things wrong (obviously I am always learning and trying to improve my game) but I just never feel confident anymore and cannot put a deep run together in anything i play, does anybody have any advice regarding MTT play or just my mental state?

Old
Wed May 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hi L0DDENThinks,

Well, two things strike me as apparent here.

1) You've put a great deal of time in trying to study the game and improve it.

and

2) Your going through a bad run and it's taken a little of the enjoyment out of the game for you.

MTT's can be hard to crack but it takes a large sample size of one format to see if your profitable in that format.

I'd suggest setting yourself a personal challenge. I noticed you said you play a lot of Sit n' Goes also. One of our Live Trainers, Andy, had a 2 part SnG bankroll builder series.... here's the links

Bankroll Building Blocks Part 1
Bankroll Building Blocks Part 2

I found these very useful and you might too. You might not be doing a whole lot wrong and making the best decisions at the time.... who knows, but you do need to get the fun back in the game. Why not submit one of your tournament hand histories to our live trainers and have them review one of your games?

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 30, 2012, 06:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
LODDENT,

I went and checked your last 50 games
You've played 15 different games (turbo, re-buys, regular, super turbo, bounty, HU, 8-game, 5 card draw, Pl Omaha, satellites, etc....)
Also you've played different buy-ins

I think you need to find the game you are good at and the level your BR permits

Hope this helps

Old
Wed May 30, 2012, 06:28 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
Thankyou for the replies, I will check out those links pretty quickly and hopefully they affect my game in a good way. Yeah i started varying the games i was playing to see if i could have a go at something different and try to change my luck. I do like to vary the tournaments I play but if i stick to a certain game then it will probably benefit my game. I appreciate the comments.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com