Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

how should i play this hand ???

Old
how should i play this hand ??? - Thu May 31, 2012, 06:46 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
wot was the right way to play this hand

and did i over bet the preflop call with my 99 i had the guy on a big ace mayb AKAQ AJ i didnt thuink he had a better pocket per but did i still do it right or ?

cheers guys i need alot of help but dont wont to give u to much dum hands

Last edited by cyclonia; Thu May 31, 2012 at 06:54 AM..

Old
Thu May 31, 2012, 12:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi cyclonia!

Early in a tourney, I'm going to muck KJs in mid position. With many maniacs and calling stations still in the tourney, there is a good chance that I would end up playing a the hand for a larger pot and I'm out of position.
If I did play the hand, I'd make my std open raise (3BB) to 90.
The flop gives me 2nd pair with a medium kicker on a board that has both striaght draws and flush draws. If I'm going to make a c-bet here, then I need to size it large enough to price out the draws. With two opps in the hand, I need to bet between 3/4 and the size of the pot. If I bet less and the 2nd opp has a flush draw, then they will be priced in to draw at me.
One opp calls and I get a Q on the turn, that gives me a straight draw. Since the opp called preflop and the flop, I'm going to check the turn, as they could very easily have an A and be ahead of me. If the opp makes a small bet that prices in my draws, then I'll call... otherwise, I'll fold on the turn.
When the opp makes a large river bet when the board pairs and completes the flush, my two pair of K's and Q's is not going to be the best hand and I'll fold.

99 hand:
Preflop, I'll make my std open (3BB) or 150. By making a std raise, the opp will not know whether I'm playing a high pocket pair, low pocket pair, big ace, suited connectors, etc. It helps to keep the opps guessing as to the hand that I have.
The opp then 3-bets to 500 (double our bet). With a mid pair and the stacks this deep, I'm mucking 99 here. The opp most likely has two overcards or even an overpair and it's too early for me to be taking a coin-flip siuation at best. I still have 46BB left, which is a very playable stack for a tourney.
If I did want to continue in the hand, instead of raising to 900, I'd have raised at least 3X their bet and since they don't have many chips more than this, would have put them all-in. I may consider this if I had a shorter stack or was already ITM in the tourney, but with a marginal made pair this early.. I'll muck and look for a better spot, either with a better hand or when I'm in position.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
my problem - Fri Jun 01, 2012, 07:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2012
SilverStar
as u said EARLY IN A TOURNAMENT u would play due to maniacs........ so why would u try to outprice them on their draws they will call anyway

Old
Fri Jun 01, 2012, 07:21 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by danan758 View Post
as u said EARLY IN A TOURNAMENT u would play due to maniacs........ so why would u try to outprice them on their draws they will call anyway
Early in a tourney, I don't want to play marginal hands out of position.

The reason to price an opp out for their draws, is that by doing so... it makes it a negative EV play for them to draw. If I don't bet enough, I'll get more and more bad beats because the opps will be making a +EV play to draw at me.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
debatable - Fri Jun 01, 2012, 07:33 PM
(#5)
SilverStar
i must say its a highly debatable situation
u called KJ mid postion
u are looking for two pair or flush draw at the least u make second pair descent kicker isnt that a check fold situation?

Old
... - Fri Jun 01, 2012, 07:34 PM
(#6)
SilverStar
im nor pro so not saying imright just asking.

Old
Fri Jun 01, 2012, 07:43 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by danan758 View Post
i must say its a highly debatable situation
u called KJ mid postion
u are looking for two pair or flush draw at the least u make second pair descent kicker isnt that a check fold situation?
I said that I would muck KJs to start with. I wouldn't even be in the hand.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
yh thats true - Fri Jun 01, 2012, 07:46 PM
(#8)
SilverStar
yh u did say that

Old
Fri Jun 01, 2012, 08:17 PM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2011
hi cyclonia,my opinion is along with JWs,over playing marginal hands out of posisition is really dangerous,and especailly early on in any game.

Personally if im playing KJ suited in mid im trying to limp in at the most,trying to see a flop cheap as possible folding to any preflop raise,on the flop you bet out with 2nd pair on a ace high board with a possible spade draw out there and far to many players in the pot,
99 similar senario,
Tighten up on posistion and reep the rewards my freind.

Old
Fri Jun 01, 2012, 11:04 PM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey cyclonia

I think folding the KJs utg+2 is best until you have a stronger post flop game, if you do play it then we want to raise to no more than 3x the big blind, this is the standard amount to raise at these small blind levels.

As played ..... checking the flop is fine vs 2 players with our hand and so it c-betting, I would prefer checking to try and control the size of the pot. When we c-bet and get called then I would like to see you slow down and check the turn card and hope to get to a cheap showdown. If villain bets a decent amound when we check to him I would opt to fold.

As for pocket nines again I like to 2.5 or 3x it preflop, making it 5x the big blind will scare out potential hands that you have crushed which is never a good thing and also create a bloated pot if we get called.

If we made it 150 to go and we got 3bet to 300-450 then we may have more options available to us other than going all in or folding.

Personally I would make it 150 to go and if I got 3bet I would either shove all in or fold given the aggressiveness of my opponent, calling out of position with 99 is going to suck because it's likely we will see overcards thus check/folding too much of the time.

Hope this helped

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com