Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Cheek the flop with QQ :(

Old
Cheek the flop with QQ :( - Fri Jun 01, 2012, 05:10 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
i should of bet the flop but though i could get more if i check (well i dont konw wot i was thinking??)

Old
Fri Jun 01, 2012, 12:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi cyclonia!

With QQ preflop, I would make a 3-bet here and I would normally size it with a raise between the size of the pot and 3X the previous bet. Due to this, I'll raise to 575.

The flop brings 3 undercards with a flush and possibly straight draws. When the opp checks to me, I definitely want to make a c-bet here so that if the opp has any of the draws, I can price them out. I don't want the opp to have a +EV draw to either the flush or the straight or overcards to my QQ. To price out the flush (the draw here with the most outs), I will bet 1/2 pot or 575.

The turn brings an overcard and if the opp calls the flop bet, then I would check behind on the turn if the opp checks. I would do this for both pot control and also that since there is now an overcard on the board... I'm not sure that I have the best hand.

I'll do the same thing on the river. My QQ does have showdown value, but since I'm not sure that I have the best hand, I would check to get to showdown.

The key for this hand is the flop, as I would think that my QQ is the best hand at the time and since there are draws that can beat me, I need to bet an amount that if called, will create a -EV play for the opp. As long as I do this, while an opp can get lucky, they will lose chips to me in the long run by chasing -EV draws.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com