Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL J10s BTN vs CO vs SB 3 bettor

Old
2NL J10s BTN vs CO vs SB 3 bettor - Fri Jun 01, 2012, 07:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
SB 31/31 hands 16 plays 4 table
CO 71/17 hands 16

Judging by his sizing I new he had JJ+ premium pairs. Am I getting the correct odds to make this call ? What is the correct odds to make this call ?

Lets say my equity was 27% as an example. Does this means I need odds of roughly 3 to 1 to call.
I dont expect to CO to give up if he hits and I dont expect the SB fold his premium pairs. So is it safe to say I also have the correct implied odds to make this call.

PokerStars Hand #81348894212: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02 USD) - 2012/06/01 18:37:00 ET
Table 'Giomus II' 6-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: MoWin888 ($2.40 in chips)
Seat 2: 1casper10 ($2.45 in chips)
Seat 3: animosama ($4.23 in chips)
Seat 4: tanchuk91 ($2.08 in chips)
Seat 5: TheGreenSock ($2 in chips)
Seat 6: Steelbakers ($1.21 in chips)
tanchuk91: posts small blind $0.01
TheGreenSock: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to animosama [Tc Jc]
Steelbakers: folds
MoWin888: folds
1casper10: calls $0.02
animosama: raises $0.06 to $0.08
tanchuk91: folds
TheGreenSock: raises $0.16 to $0.24
1casper10: calls $0.22
animosama: folds
*** FLOP *** [4s 5c 6c]
TheGreenSock: bets $0.28
1casper10: calls $0.28
*** TURN *** [4s 5c 6c] [3c]
TheGreenSock: bets $0.48
1casper10: calls $0.48
*** RIVER *** [4s 5c 6c 3c] [5h]
TheGreenSock: bets $0.60
1casper10: calls $0.60
*** SHOW DOWN ***
TheGreenSock: shows [Jd Js] (two pair, Jacks and Fives)
1casper10: shows [2d 8d] (a straight, Deuce to Six)
1casper10 collected $3.17 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $3.29 | Rake $0.12
Board [4s 5c 6c 3c 5h]
Seat 1: MoWin888 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: 1casper10 showed [2d 8d] and won ($3.17) with a straight, Deuce to Six
Seat 3: animosama (button) folded before Flop
Seat 4: tanchuk91 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: TheGreenSock (big blind) showed [Jd Js] and lost with two pair, Jacks and Fives
Seat 6: Steelbakers folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Old
Sat Jun 02, 2012, 12:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2012
Hi,

We share the same thoughts that the SB is having premium pairs. You raised to isolate the limper, and he 3bets, perhaps to isolate you. This move shows strength, unless he's a maniac or a fish I can outplay post flop, most of the time I'll only call with a strong hand. JTs plays well postflop but it's likely beaten by a 3bet from a nit. Think JJ+.

Second qn ya roughly 1:3. But not sure what you meant by making the call. U mean assuming you called preflop and faced the 28 cents barrel? Pardon me if I'm wrong

Old
Sat Jun 02, 2012, 02:36 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAwesomeNW View Post
Hi,

We share the same thoughts that the SB is having premium pairs. You raised to isolate the limper, and he 3bets, perhaps to isolate you. This move shows strength, unless he's a maniac or a fish I can outplay post flop, most of the time I'll only call with a strong hand. JTs plays well postflop but it's likely beaten by a 3bet from a nit. Think JJ+.

Second qn ya roughly 1:3. But not sure what you meant by making the call. U mean assuming you called preflop and faced the 28 cents barrel? Pardon me if I'm wrong

I mean to make this a profitable call in the long run

Old
Odds - Sat Jun 02, 2012, 07:35 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
To calculate if you have the proper odds to call preflop you have to put your opponents on a range of hands. You then use a program such as poker stove or the odds calculator on this site to calculate the equity you have in the hand. If your equity in the hand is larger than the percentage of the amount you need to make the call will be of the total pot after the call, then your call is mathematically correct. Expressed another way: Your hand equity must be greater than your bet divided by your bet plus the current pot times 100. You can find our odds calculator by clicking on the video or live training tabs and then clicking on the tools button on the left hand side.

Hope this helps
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 02, 2012, 11:39 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxing View Post
To calculate if you have the proper odds to call preflop you have to put your opponents on a range of hands. You then use a program such as poker stove or the odds calculator on this site to calculate the equity you have in the hand. If your equity in the hand is larger than the percentage of the amount you need to make the call will be of the total pot after the call, then your call is mathematically correct. Expressed another way: Your hand equity must be greater than your bet divided by your bet plus the current pot times 100. You can find our odds calculator by clicking on the video or live training tabs and then clicking on the tools button on the left hand side.

Hope this helps
Doug

Put it in pokerstove and I got something like 25-27%

so 16c to call in 56c is 28% percent to call

Do I calculated this correct if so would this was indeed be a close call

Old
Sun Jun 03, 2012, 01:10 AM
(#6)
After you call the pot would be $.75. So you would be putting in 16/75 of the pot or 21.2%. So. if your range estimates give you a 25% pot equity, you should call. This is only accurate if your reads are close of coarse.

hope this helps
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 03, 2012, 07:41 PM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
That's not totally correct. Remember pokerstove is giving you hand equity going to showdown, and if we were all in then that would accurate. We are not going to showdown if we call here, there is a lot of money behind left to bet. Calling this 3b, even in position, is a leak. We're going to have a low spr spot so we don't have good post flop fold equity to leverage with a semi-bluff when we flop a draw, and we'll have to commit when we hit top pair but not likely to be good often enough for it to be profitable. I think you made a good fold personally.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com