Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

Hey Everyone!! :)

Old
Hey Everyone!! :) - Fri Jun 01, 2012, 08:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
BronzeStar
Hey 20 year old student from Northern Ireland here.

Always been an avid poker player and played online for a fair while but never too seriously and not regularly, play with friends seldomly too. Hoping to get into it though alot more and improve as a player.

Used to be a bit of a competiteve gamer as well attending LANs etc.. so already started my own home group with 60 members in it Most of us are starting out but we have a few experienced guys in there. If anyone wants to join our club then just ask here or pm me.

Just want to improve as a player and make some friends to keep me motivated. I'm using a skype called esports.poker if anyone wants to chat.

Old
Fri Jun 01, 2012, 09:17 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Smythcruesfc!

Welcome to the forum. Here's a link that will help to get you familiar with the various items that PSO has to offer.

The videos and live training sessions are a great place for you to start and then when you're playing hands, then the HA forums will be a big help.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 01, 2012, 10:38 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi SmythCruesfc I hope you enjoy your time at PSO

Their are members that share their skype details with one an other and hold a 'skype study group', here is the thread for that.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...ighlight=skype

Old
Fri Jun 01, 2012, 10:40 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hi SmythCruesfc,

Great to see another member from my own neck of the woods!

Enjoy your time here and have fun!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 01, 2012, 10:50 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewMe1 View Post
Hi SmythCruesfc I hope you enjoy your time at PSO

Their are members that share their skype details with one an other and hold a 'skype study group', here is the thread for that.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...ighlight=skype
Cheers mate will certainly add a few people from there. Been reading up on some of the courses and picked up a few tips. First cash game since and trebled my money

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
Hi SmythCruesfc,

Great to see another member from my own neck of the woods!

Enjoy your time here and have fun!

Raiser
Just had a look at your profile and your born a day before me too lol, freaky!

Cheers for the welcome. Luck of the irish

Old
Sat Jun 02, 2012, 07:10 AM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
A fellow football fan

This place is a great resource, much of the information you will have to pay for elsewhere. Don't be scared to ask any questions, you won't be shot down like some other sites I post on.

What games/ stakes do you play and have you (and RoyalRaiser) played any live poker? I know of 2 games in East Belfast that are low buy ins and have a decent structure but as gambling laws in NI are stuck in the middle ages I won't post them on a public forum.

Old
Sat Jun 02, 2012, 01:35 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Indeed, best league in the world! Glens haven't had the best of luck these past few seasons though which is a shame as no other club has the quality to challenge Linfield.

Yeah seems pretty good and I hope to take full advantage of it. Just not sure where to begin yet.

Honesty a bit of everything online and I'm just playing micro stakes at the minute untill I'm consistently doing well. Don't want to rush up the levels. I've played a few poker tournaments, by a few I've played 3 in North Belfast and 4 or 5 times in my local at uni. I'd defintley be interested in going over sometime if you wanna pm me the details

Old
Sun Jun 03, 2012, 06:09 AM
(#8)
For starters you should do the quiz and get your deposit bonus/ free tickets.

This then allows you to compete in the PSO leagues. For a beginner/ low bankroll these leagues are a gift from the gods and there's a load of value to be had. There's big prizes in the Premier League especially and you'll find many Gold and platinum Stars playing in these because they know the value is so good.

If money's tight (and you are a poor student), stick to playing as many freerolls and micro stakes as you can. You can read and watch videos all day but I think the best way to learn is simply to play. Put up a few hand histories and ask loads of questions, you will learn from your mistakes. There's a poker saying that this game takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master but it's 100% correct. Good players work on their game and it's a lot more complicated than the 7 cards that make up a hand.

Make sure you keep records! It's OK to lose a few $$$ as you learn but don't go overboard! Not everyone wins in this game despite what your mates might tell you! Anyone can get lucky, you could win the Sunday Million from a fpp satellite but that would be so rare. The majority of winners on this site work hard on their game and think about the game.

Welcome to the mad house!

I've PMed you details of the live game.

Old
Sun Jun 03, 2012, 12:52 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
For starters you should do the quiz and get your deposit bonus/ free tickets.

This then allows you to compete in the PSO leagues. For a beginner/ low bankroll these leagues are a gift from the gods and there's a load of value to be had. There's big prizes in the Premier League especially and you'll find many Gold and platinum Stars playing in these because they know the value is so good.

If money's tight (and you are a poor student), stick to playing as many freerolls and micro stakes as you can. You can read and watch videos all day but I think the best way to learn is simply to play. Put up a few hand histories and ask loads of questions, you will learn from your mistakes. There's a poker saying that this game takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master but it's 100% correct. Good players work on their game and it's a lot more complicated than the 7 cards that make up a hand.

Make sure you keep records! It's OK to lose a few $$$ as you learn but don't go overboard! Not everyone wins in this game despite what your mates might tell you! Anyone can get lucky, you could win the Sunday Million from a fpp satellite but that would be so rare. The majority of winners on this site work hard on their game and think about the game.

Welcome to the mad house!

I've PMed you details of the live game.
Yeah I did the first 2 quizes and got a free ticket. Began to look at the Sit and Go one but there was so much to learn regarding what class each hand is, how to play at a certain stage of the game and how much I should raise by depending on my stack, stage of game etc...

Like I said in the pm, I'm generally making a profit albeit a very small one from the cash tables. Need to work on my overall strategy in tournaments as I'm far too ruthless and don't discipline myself enough nor value my chips and position. But that will come with time.

Yeah I've got all my hand historys being saved and I use Poker Tracker as well so I can see where I'm going wrong. I assume this is allowed by the way, a friend reccomended it. I've got all these stats but they mean nothing to me right now. As well for hands, I wouldn't even know what to post up to see if I'm playing them properly.. there's just so many and usually there and then I know myself whether I think I played it well or not.

Cheers for all the advice and I replied to the PM.

Also if anybody does know of any good tournaments that they'd recommend a beginner to play then let me know.

Old
Sun Jun 03, 2012, 01:44 PM
(#10)
There's a definite skill in STTs most of which comes in bubble play. Unfortunately there's a lot of players that have found the formula and the games have become a lot harder.

Cash as well has some very decent players even at micro stakes.

imo the way to go is to look for added value tournaments, decent value freerolls and MTTs with a guarantee that doesn't get met (very very rare on PS). Play the deposit freerolls and the PSO games.

Read and ask as many questions as you can think of. I'm 8 years at this game and all the info I know plus loads more can be found here.

Old
How to use a HUD - Sun Jun 03, 2012, 02:57 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
If you want to learn ths basics of using a HUD you should watch Dave TheLangolier's session 23 that is part of our live training video library here.

Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 03, 2012, 03:09 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Cheers mate will give it a watch tonight

Old
Sun Jun 03, 2012, 03:21 PM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythCruesfc View Post
Cheers mate will give it a watch tonight
You should be accepted in the home game too.... game on in 40 mins and your very welcome to join...

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 03, 2012, 04:43 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
You should be accepted in the home game too.... game on in 40 mins and your very welcome to join...

Raiser
I did mean to play but I noticed there were only 3 players, I would usually support it regardless as my home game also tends to get small numbers for cash games, but instead I thought I should do a bit of research as I haven't played the best today.

I'm going to make a thread on the forum regarding this but thought I should post it here too. Basically all my stats so far in cash games filtered by position as I believe positional awarness is meant to mean alot and you should change your playstyle accordingly. I think my PRF isn't the best from what I've heard but I'm open to all advice

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com