Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6-max deep stacked: flopped a set, turned a boat but fold the river

Old
10NL 6-max deep stacked: flopped a set, turned a boat but fold the river - Sun Jun 03, 2012, 02:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
only have 20 hands of history on this guy and haven't seen a showdown yet. He had stats of 37/7 with an AF of 5,00 but over 20 hands this doesn't really much

My pre-flop play was pretty standard. The villians min 3bet was kind of weird and since this was his first 3bet i didn't quite know what it ment.

I flopped a set and raised for vallue. The turn paired the queen so if he had Qx this was a great card for me but if he had an overpair he might be more afraid he was beat.

When the river came a king i thought he could have KQ or KK but i was still gonna try and get value from AA or Qx that wasn't a boat. Unfortunately he check-raised so i thought he had KK or KQ or QQ because i think he would have just called with AA or AQ.

My question is here obviously: Should i have called or just checked back the turn?
I really didnt see him playing anything i could beat this way but i was getting a really good odds to call.

Last edited by magiciantom; Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: mis type

Old
Sun Jun 03, 2012, 02:40 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Tom,

Answering as per your request in Live Training to check it out.

I like your line, but I would have called the river. The min 3-b is a bet sizing tell in loose-passive players of a very big hand, so I'd be thinking he's got QQ+ a lot with this preflop action. The line you took to extract value from KK and AA is good. On the river there are 1 combo of QQ, 3 of KK, and 6 of AA he can hold, so the real question is would he take this line with AA post flop? I think vs. an opponent who is clearly bad there's enough margin of error, especially given the size of the pot, to make the call and pay off KK. Bad players do things that make no sense all the time, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that he could show up with AA or even something like AQ or AK that played terribly. So yeah, I don't like it much but it's a crying call for me.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com