Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

Half Price Sunday **official discussion thread**

Old
Half Price Sunday **official discussion thread** - Tue Jun 05, 2012, 12:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar

Several PokerStars major Sunday tourneys are having their buy-ins cut in half on Sunday, June 17, including the Sunday Million!

50% Reduction on Major Sunday Tournaments

The buy-ins for several major PokerStars tournaments are being cut in half on Sunday, June 17, including the most affordable Sunday Million we’ve ever run. The huge prize pool guarantees stay fixed though, so you get to play for a share of millions in cash prizes for less than ever before!

The cut-price line-up includes the biggest tournaments anywhere online, including the Sunday Million ($1,000,000 GTD), Sunday Warm-Up ($500,000 GTD) and the Sunday Storm ($300,000 GTD), giving you great value on our biggest tournament day of the week.

Half Price Sunday - Tournament Schedule

The following tourneys will have half-price buy-ins on Sunday, June 17.

Sunday Kickoff at 08:00 ET Cut-Price buy-in of $54.50 with a $100,000 guarantee

Sunday Warm-Up at 11:00 ET Cut-Price buy-in of $107.50 with a $500,000 guarantee

Sunday Storm at 13:30 ET Cut-Price buy-in of $5.50 with a $300,000 guarantee

Sunday Million at 14:30 ET Cut-Price buy-in of $107.50 with a $1,000,000 guarantee

Women’s Sunday at 14:30 ET Cut-Price buy-in of $27.50 with a $10,000 guarantee

To find the tournaments and register, open the PokerStars lobby and go to ‘Tourney’ & ‘Special’. You can also win your seat for any of the tournaments with a huge range of satellites running in the lead up to each one.

Please Note: Regular Sunday Major tournament tickets cannot be redeemed for entry into the Half Price Sunday events. There will be limited support for splitting existing ticket values of $11, $109 & $215.

Contact Support if you would like further information (see below).

If you have any questions about Half Price Sunday and how to register for any of the tournaments, contact support@pokerstars.com.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 05, 2012, 12:18 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Hell yes!! Definitely playing the storm, although the field will be HUUUUUGE!

Old
Thumbs up
yessss - Wed Jun 06, 2012, 12:31 AM
(#3)
Good luck
Im going in all of them ,,, looks like a good deal!!!

Also just saw they are bringing back the micro millions event 11 already,,,which is ok by me,,, that event was pretty awesome,,,

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 12:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee another chance for me to play the sunday million at half the price what a treat

Old
Thumbs up
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - Wed Jun 06, 2012, 12:56 AM
(#5)
see u on half price Sunday Marv,,,,wwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,,,lets one time big time 4 times,,,lol,,,

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 04:50 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
BronzeStar
half price womens sunday cant be missed see you at the table!

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 05:47 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2010
Interesting Promotion

Quote:

Several PokerStars major Sunday tourneys are having their buy-ins cut in half on Sunday, June 17, including the Sunday Million!

I am not sure this is truly 'half-price' - It is half the buy-in, but is it really the same product?

Will I get an $11 buy-in for $5.50 in the Sunday Storm? Will the pay-outs be the same as if all players had paid $11?

A cheaper buy-in should increase the field - hopefully mainly with extra fish - and as the guarantee is the same it may not be covered by the buy-ins, so there could be a good value overlay - if not it is just a cheaper tourney.

I will try to play the Storm if I am up for a late night that Sunday.

Good luck all

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 01:22 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
Interesting Promotion

Quote:

I am not sure this is truly 'half-price' - It is half the buy-in, but is it really the same product?

Will I get an $11 buy-in for $5.50 in the Sunday Storm? Will the pay-outs be the same as if all players had paid $11?

A cheaper buy-in should increase the field - hopefully mainly with extra fish - and as the guarantee is the same it may not be covered by the buy-ins, so there could be a good value overlay - if not it is just a cheaper tourney.

I will try to play the Storm if I am up for a late night that Sunday.

Good luck all

I wouldn't get my hopes up about a potential overlay, this is going to increase the fields by a huge amount. Think along the lines of the anniversary Sunday Mil. HUGE.

GL everyone.

Old
Sun Jun 10, 2012, 02:29 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
I'd be worried about playing half-price Sunday Storm because June 17th is Father's Day <3. BUT I never manage to survive past late registration when I play that thing (except for that time I ran crazy hot the time before my bonus kicked in, where I always run hot before the bonus kicks in ... sample size 3 of 4). So it's not like having to sit out around 7pm so I can meet up with my parents at Swiss Chalet is going to realistically be that much of a concern

I don't know if maybe I play too tight early on since the starting stack's so big, and the blinds are so small ... but then the blinds escalate so fast compared to the Big $11 - by the end of late registration in the Big 11 a starting stack of 3000 would still have 15bb's, but in the Sunday Storm, a 5000 starting stack would only have 8, eh? (I couldn't figure out how else to show that blinds structure seems to be more turbo-like with the Storm since they have different starting stacks ... hope that wasn't confusing?) :

Sunday Storm:

Big $11:

Anybody have any tips for the Storm?

Old
Sun Jun 10, 2012, 04:06 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Hey, found some nice vids on the library from chewme

Live Low Stake MTTs #1 $3.30-$11
Live Low Stake MTTs #2 $3.30-$11
Live Microstakes Turbo 180s
Live MTT's Focusing on Position
MicroMillions Special

I just know they're going to be super-helpful ... BUT it's still like school to watch instructional videos, so ... planning on trying to watch 5 in one week might be a little too ambitious. But I'll share what I find on the vids that I do manage to watch because I like to take notes

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 01:36 AM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Well, so I managed to get to 2 ... which is 2 more than I'd have gotten to if I hadn't stated publicly that I was going to try to get to some vids. So 2 is better than zero I suppose!

I wanted to watch some because, anbody else ever found themselves in the middle stages of a tournament, like maybe an hour and a half or two in, sitting on about 30bb's and card dead, watching all the looser peoples stacks gradually increasing in size as yours starts to dwindle? And then have you ever sort of felt like maybe people know things that you don't, and so you look around the 'net and just can't seem to find info on what that 'something' is that other people know that you suspect you don't?

I feel like ChewMe's videos answered some key questions.

I'm trying to think of how best to share the info in a way that's easy to apply, so I'm taking a bit of 'creative license' in applying ChewMe's general tips to the Sunday Storm specifically ... hopefully it reads easy, and things don't get mixed up in the translation :/

So, for the Sunday Storm, with those big increases in blinds (amount-wise, if not time-wise), the tourney's going to have the following phases:

Sunday Storm - Critical Phases

A. If You're Card-Dead

Early Stage - First Hour
If you're card-dead and don't play a hand the first 60 minutes, you should still have around 4000 chips going into the 2nd hour with blinds hitting 200/100, and antes kicking in. So there's some time to be patient.

Second Hour - The Resteal (*New concept to some of us)
But if you've been card-dead and are now down to 20bbs, Chewme would be looking for a resteal opportunity in late-position with the following hands: 99+, AQ+ . If somebody before you to act raises, chewme says it's better to shove than call, since the raise/blinds/antes will add up to quite a bit (eg 600+300+180 = like a 25% increase in stack). And if called, you ought to have good equity.

ChewMe says that yes, while it's nerve-wracking, avoid the temptation to just call and see the flop.

For the Storm, there'll be about 30 minutes to try to find a resteal opportunity

One and a Half Hours in - Push/Fold
So if you've been totally card-dead for the first 90 minutes, with a stack size of about 10bb's that's generally considered push/fold mode, eh? Here's Grayson Physioc's Charts (Spacegravy) - since I didn't get around to watching ChewMe's other videos, I didn't have much chance to see how his range differs frorm Graysons. But they both emphasize that ranges are fluid, and that you have to also be aware of stack sizes, position, and peoples' calling ranges.

B. If You've Built Up A Decent-Sized Stack

Middle Stages - Active Blinds Stealing (*New concept to some of us)

Once antes kicks in, ChewMe starts opening up his range. Even with like 40bb's, while there's time to be patient and wait for good cards, ChewMe urges us to give it a try because blinds and antes are worth a lot, and it will help maintain your stack in a way that you might otherwise not be able to without a good run of cards. For example, in video #2 @47:40, ChewMe went from a decent-sized stack to short in about 20 minutes, and that was with active blinds stealing attempts (but there was an active player to chewme's right who kept raising every hand)

If everybody folds to you in the button or sb, Chewme likes to raise 2.bb (he says 3xbb is too large a risk/leak) with hands with good flop potential:
- pocket pairs
- suited connectors
- any 2 broadway
- ChewMe's not crazy about Arag
- really doesn't like those junk hands like Q3o

EXCEPTIONS:
1. If one or both of the blinds are short (like 12bb's) - need to raise with a real hand you would be willing to call a shove with, since you get less credit for raising from the blinds

2. You have like a 16bb stack (not big but not small), and a mediocre hand like T4s - the hand's not good enough to call a raise, and folding would be too much of a leak, so we need a better hand.

3. The people in the blinds are super tight - then you can widen your range to stuff like K8o because there's so little chance they'll call

4. You've stolen blinds like the last 3 orbits, and you're hand's not good like J3o - best to give it a rest ever couple of orbits.

- also, 2.bb with antes means you only have to succeed 1 out of every 2 times to be profitable because blinds+antes>2.bb ... will probably be better than that because even loose players have to play tighter out of position

Middle Stages - Reraising With A Larger Stack

Still AQo+

I've never tried resteals or blinds stealing with 40bb's - usually I just sit and hope for better cards. And I'm not feeling very lucky, so I'm not sure if tomorrow there'll be many chances to try this stuff out, but GL to anybody else who's playing! I feel like I didn't do ChewMe's videos justice, so I hope these summaries have gotten people interested in maybe checking them out for more detail - like since I'd never heard about resteals, and was never stealing blinds with a decent sized stack, they were game-altering for me ... perhaps for other people too?

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun Jun 17, 2012 at 01:56 AM..

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 06:22 AM
(#12)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hi TrustySam,

What a brilliant post!

Wishing you the very best for the Sunday Storm today. I'm looking forward to seeing you run good!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 12:01 PM
(#13)
Sattelited into the Half-Price Sunday Storm at the first attempt at a $1.10 satty today (so is that the 10% Storm for me?).

I play a few Storm Sattys most weeks and usually take the T-Money but tonight's looks like one that definitely has to be played.

90 minutes before the start just over 20K players in, and if my math(s) is correct they need 60K to cover the guarantee tonight - so will either be a humungous field or a nice little overlay.

Good luck to all the other cheapskates/cheapstakes in the half-price Sunday games -

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 12:58 PM
(#14)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Best of luck Ed!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 01:03 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Good luck everyone! I wish I could be in there with you.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 01:23 PM
(#16)
Half Price Sunday Storm starts in 10 mins - over 30K registered now and there is 120mins late reg available so should be a huge field.

Hope I can keep awake if I run deep - the wine was flowing freely with my Sunday roast today...

Good luck all

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Thx Raiser!

Wish I had gotten to even more vids - I knew they'd be good, but the two I watched turned out to be truly awesome

Thx JWK too

It's never been the same at the tables without you guys ... hopefully you'll be back soon!

PS It's been a while since I've had to pokerstove a person's range to see what's in it :

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
(#18)
Busted in the 1/2 storm.

My AK lost to A8

Boo at least only half the pain.

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 03:39 PM
(#19)
Busted with AJ vs A7 all in preflop, followed by AJ vs KT, he hit runner runner straight after I hit my ace. There's now an $8k overlay in the storm, so best of luck to everyone still in it!

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 03:43 PM
(#20)
I don't even remember exactly how I bust - I played horribly in the early stages, spewed half my stack, lost a bit more, got desperate, shoved something marginal and bust, Very bad play but no damage to my BR - so a missed opportunity but no real harm.

Hope some other PSOers are reaping some rewards from this great promo.

Ed

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com