Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

JTs 2nl late position

Old
JTs 2nl late position - Tue Jun 05, 2012, 06:40 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
This table was fairly passive and the original raiser was a massive fish playing 86/17 with an AF of 1.70. He had been doing a lot of limping and when he did raise it was often for a min raise.

I decided to take cheap call pre flop with JTs as it can often flop well and even though i wasn't closing the action I didn't fear a 3-bet coming from behind me as the SB and BTN were fairly loose passive while the BB was tight passive. I anticpated at least one other player calling however when this did not happen i was not too worried as the villain was not too aggro to push me off a draw.

Then bingo i flop trips, the villain checks and I decided to slow play (pretty bad move in hindsight as the pot was tiny) and check behind as I thought I may be able to extract more value on later streets, if my opponent can hit some sort of pair. I fully intended to bet any turn card and then the J hits so I'm definately betting.

I make it around 3/4 pot and then the villain check raise with a huge overbet, putting himself nearly all in.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

What to do...... He's not normally this aggro, so do i just put my self in as there's not much beating me and hope i haven't been coolered?

Also is the check on the flop as bad as i think... should I have bet there to build the pot?

Thanks for any advice

Croyd

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 01:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Croyd,

I like the preflop call in position for sure. On this depth of money, we could 3b to isolate this guy as well.

I definitely like betting right on the flop, we want to start building the pot and the board is wet, so there should be a lot of hands that can give us some action with 2 opponents.

As played, I would call him for sure. It would be a crazy strange line for QQ or JJ to be taking, as you would need a very strong hand to call I'd think and most people would not make a huge overbet with a monster like that, but if he's got one of those hands, nh. tbh it doesn't really matter the few random times he shows up with QQ or JJ here... if he made a more normal raise sizing or took a more standard bet/3b line on the turn, however he played it, we are still probably ending up all in with this strong a hand vs. a massive fish. I just think there are so many worse hands he can show up with here, including a slow played AT or KT, or more particularly AK which is "protecting his hand" (he is a massive fish after all). And then he could do this with some kind of draw as well simply thinking you can rarely call (which actually is accurate I think, except with a boat your hand is strong enough).

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 05:09 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
id hit that call button so hard my mouse would explode and the screen would shatter!

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 07:34 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
Well as you can probably tell it was a cooler, I reshipped for his last 12c and he rolled over QQ. It didn't really make much sense to me but then again not much he did made sense.

I see now that i should have bet the flop, would you recommened making it a similar size to my turn bet around 2/3 to 3/4 pot? Also if he made the same play on the flop if I had of bet, would making the call still be the right play when I only have trips?

Thanks for the advice

Croyd

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com