Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

playing OOP

Old
playing OOP - Wed Jun 06, 2012, 08:10 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
hi, is it correct to cbet bluff flop less often when you are OOP? And should i fold more hands OOP when in position player is cbetting me on flop?

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 09:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Playing OOP is a definite disadvantage. The better your opponent is, the more likely he will have the skills to take advantage of his position. So you do need a better hand when you are OOP to offset your disadvantage especially if the opponent appears to have better than average skills.

Hope this helps
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 09:32 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villmann View Post
hi, is it correct to cbet bluff flop less often when you are OOP?
As always in poker: It depends. If the opp folds too much to cbets, I'd cbet every time. There's also another problem with not cbet bluffing OOP, and that is that focused players will pick up on this and know that when you don't cbet OOP, you don't have anything, and vice versa. But as Dave used to say, it's okay to be exploitable if no one exploits you. Generally speaking though, you should be less inclined to cbet bluff OOP than IP.

Quote:
And should i fold more hands OOP when in position player is cbetting me on flop?
This is highly dependent on the villain and the situation (number of players in the pot, pot size, board texture etc). Generally, yes. The question is though how often you're in a situation like this. If you're calling preflop OOP (which you can only be if you're in the blinds) and keep folding to flop cbets anyways, you'd be better off folding preflop unless the hand has some good playability postflop (setmining etc) and you have the implied odds to do so. Calling with too wide of a range in the blinds is a leak I see a lot of micro players have. Defending your blinds is a good thing, as long as you have a working plan for the hand.

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 12:34 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Villmann!

Being out of position definitely makes playing the hand tougher. Normally, the only times that I try to bluff when OOP is when the opp is very, very tight/passive and will fold an abnormal amount of times. If I don't have this specific read on the opp, then this is when I'll check to them and re-evaluate after they make their decision.

Folding to their c-bet will depend on the opp. Sometimes I will, sometimes I won't... BUT... when I do call their c-bet, I need to make sure that I have the correct pot odds to draw to whatever draw that I have. If it's a +EV play, I'll draw to it, if it's a -EV play, then I'll muck.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com