Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

did i play this right

Old
did i play this right - Wed Jun 06, 2012, 09:07 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

not worried bout the call, just coudnt lay it down based on his tightness, and how to establish a good range

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 12:29 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi AmaturePlayr!

What type of tourney is this from? The reason that I ask is that you will get two totally different answers depending on the type of tourney.

If it is a cash tourney:

With AK in the BB, UTG+1 makes a std raise and I have basically 10BB left. In this situation, I'm going to shove this basically every time, as I don't want the opp to see a flop that may help them without paying the maximum. This type of situation is a great example of why bankroll management is so important. I want to be able to shove in this situation, but know that I will lose a % of the time (to pairs when I don't improve).

If it's a league tourney:

Since this is nowhere near being ITM, I need to last as long as possible in the tourney to get as many (and not lose) league points. In this situation, I'm calling the opp's raise and if I don't hit an ace or a K on the flop, I'm mucking and looking for a better situation later in the tourney, so that I can last longer and hope to get into positive points.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 07, 2012, 07:38 AM
(#3)
it was a 50/50, but i knew he was in the KQ, KJ, range all play, i know i just got unlucky, but i guess my point is, u pay $1.50 to by in, u get 1.35 back plus chip stacks money, so i dont think i did this wrong cause if i won that would put me ITM, chip stack wise right?

Old
Thu Jun 07, 2012, 10:35 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
For a 50/50, I like the shove. If I win the hand, not only do I most likely have enough chips to cash...... each chip is worth additional $$$ and due to that, I want to take every +EV chance that I can to accumulate chips.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 07, 2012, 11:06 AM
(#5)
thanks john, BTW while we on the subject, what r ur opinions on the 50/50's, can u start building a bankroll from them?

the reason i ask is i played 3 yesterday, but i got knocked out on 1, but cashed around $6 on other 2, so i guess my question is I made 2 dollars, but i was playing 1 at a time, do u need to multi table these, so instead of 1 at a time, play 4 at a time?

Old
Thu Jun 07, 2012, 11:17 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If a player is good enough, then they can build a bankroll from any type of game that they are beating consistantly. The key to know this is a large quantity of games, as there will be variance streaks in them.... just like any other game type.

Before black friday, I played a number of these games and hit some wicked variance streaks in them. I'm sure there are players out there that are making a bankroll from them, but for me, I was using them to get VPP's to stay active in the leagues. I was accumulating a good number of vpp's from playing 2 of these at a time, but my bankroll in them stayed in a pretty narrow range (would like to try a run at them again someday, as I've learned a ton since then).

For me, I thought that they would have fit my style a little bit better (like the old double/nothings) but for me they weren't as good a fit. Everyone's going to have their own games that they'll be better at due to their individual playing style and for me they just didn't fit as good as the micro SNG's and MTT's.

If you like playing these, then go ahead and try a run in them. I'd play a couple tables and do a run of say 50 then 100 of them and see what happens (make sure that they fit into good bankroll management, as there will be variance streaks). If you're still running a +ROI after a larger number of games in them... then GO FOR IT!

Good luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 07, 2012, 12:30 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
looks good to me. standard play with 9 BB left either you shove or fold and your not folding here. it is just unfortunate that you ran into AA

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com