Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

PSO League

Old
PSO League - Wed Jun 06, 2012, 11:08 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
SilverStar
i often find myself in this situation and never know what to do

i play tighter than usual at pso league so my stack gets reduced a little by the blinds

so at lvl 3 30/60 for instance i pick up AQs/AK from position lets say 2 play limped so i raise 3x + limpers

meaning 300 out of my stack of 1300-1400 then a blind shoves and 1 or more limpers often i fold somtimes i call it all depends on my temperment at the given time

so i hv raised some 25+% of my stack and fold not even seeing a flop
sometimes

statistically speaking im ahead most of the time preflop but chance of my unpaired hand hitting the flop is some....32.5% im not sure about the stats for all streets so i think im losing some 2/3 times not a chance i like to take for my tourney life

so if i fold im losing roughly 25+% of my stack and if i call im losing 2/3 times. what do u guys suggest?

Old
stats - Wed Jun 06, 2012, 11:57 AM
(#2)
SilverStar
ok i did my research and if i see all five streets i'll hit a atleast a pair 50% of the time

still dont know how often i will actually win in that situation still a bit of a novice at pokerstove

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 01:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
***moved to skill league strategy section since it's more of a strategy ? and not a specific hand to analyze JWK24***

With AK or AQs in a 3-way pot, these two hands, while they may have the highest equity of the three ranges, are NEVER the favorite to win the hand, as they will lose just under 2/3 of the time.

In these situations for a league game, reads on the opps is a mandatory thing for me here. If either of the limpers are known to limp/shove or anyone behind me that is yet to act is a maniac, I would not raise with them and muck them this early in a tourney. I don't want to have to muck (which I would have to) to a shove and lose a decent % of my stack, which is why I'll muck or limp behind.

I don't want to be playing for stacks without knowing that I will have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board and want to save my chips to be able to last as long as possible, as that's how I accumulate league points.

The key in league games is to last as long as possible and I don't want to give a single chip away if I don't have to.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 06, 2012, 01:11 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2010
Hi danan758,

PSO Open Skill League is a 'special case' tourney which requires a different strategy IF your goal is to finish high in the league. In that case you need to conserve chips until the field has thinned, so do not enter pots unless you are committed to the hand - sadly that rules out even great value holdings like AQ and medium strong pocket pairs in the early stages - as you will have too many opponents reraising/shoving preflop - if you want positive points for the league just fold all but monsters early and watch the attrition rate bust out 70% of your tournament opponents.

However, if you play each tourney for fun and to try to win individual tourneys you can take a more standard line - so hands like AQ would be eminently playable - and I would play them fast - get the chips in straight off if you expect calls - just remember - you will get called by much worse multiple hands very often - so be prepared to lose often - (which will lose you points in the league) - but will gain you lots of value in the tourneys you run good by getting the chips in ahead.

I'm a big fan of the Premier League - so I would advise you take the standard fold/fold/fold/shovemonster strategy in OSL and get into the Premier League asap - then you can play some more interesting poker against better opponents.

Good luck

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
thanks - Wed Jun 06, 2012, 01:32 PM
(#5)
SilverStar
well thanks guy i appreciate it

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com