Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

auto topping up

Old
auto topping up - Fri Jun 08, 2012, 09:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Hey guys,

I'm curious, I've been playing a few cash games lately, and noticed a fair few people going through the blinds or loosing a hand, and immediately topping up their chipstacks to their original buy in amount if it drops below it.
Any one know the logic/reasoning behind this?

Old
Fri Jun 08, 2012, 10:21 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
ChromeStar
hey when your at a table. click on the Chips on the center there should be a button that says reby

hope this helps!

Old
Fri Jun 08, 2012, 11:06 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocofsmeg View Post
Any one know the logic/reasoning behind this?
To have the maximum stack available on all hands.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 08, 2012, 11:09 AM
(#4)
To always have maximum amount of chips

In the Main Lobby
Under option
Click on the 2nd Auto-Rebuy (ring games)
The box on the right, click on Automatic Rebuy and chose the option you want
I have the 3rd option checked (If I fall under my initial buy-in amount)

Hope this helps

Old
Fri Jun 08, 2012, 03:53 PM
(#5)
I can see the sense of always having the maximum amount of chips available to you each hand, but doesn't this method make it a bit on the awkward side keeping track of your win/loss per session ?

Or do you, for instance, keep a pen and paper record of all rebuy amounts ? which would be a bit cumbersome I think, or do you just note your starting balance and your end balance and then figure the difference ?

Old
Fri Jun 08, 2012, 04:32 PM
(#6)
My sessions are based on time or number of hands
Once my sessions are done (3 hrs or 1,500 hands), I will open up my PT3 and it will tell me everything I need to know. At this point, that's when I analyze my hands.
You will have losing sessions, so why do you want to know exactly how much and when you dip in your account for more money? I use to check and when I saw I was down, I would open up more to try and recuperate......Terrible idea

So when you sit down to play, have goals such as time or a number of hands. If you see that you're not winning, just stop and take a break.

GL

Old
Fri Jun 08, 2012, 05:23 PM
(#7)
I play 1¢/2¢, with these auto top upers being passive and having the minimum 80¢ buy in. Its just a gut feeling, but somehow I don't think these are the sorts that have poker tracker installed on their PC. or is this an unfair assumption?

The reason I hate seeing people do it is essentially the the reverse of Bill's thinking, I like to keep tabs on how good/bad other people are doing, and you can't get a precise feeling on how bad these players are doing if they just keep adding chips, and I don't want to be scribbling too many running notes.

For me, TheLangoliers reasoning seems the most probable and reasonable, but when its the ones that min. buy in, why? Ego, maybe?

Old
Fri Jun 08, 2012, 05:39 PM
(#8)
Check to see if they are regulars

Some regulars will open 24 tables with minimum instead of 12 with the max or 12 tables instead of 6. They will do it to fight variance, the law of average.

Now, if they only have 1 table open with min and keeps topping, I would say it's a lazy fish...lol

Old
Fri Jun 08, 2012, 06:38 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
The reason I hate seeing people do it is essentially the the reverse of Bill's thinking, I like to keep tabs on how good/bad other people are doing, and you can't get a precise feeling on how bad these players are doing if they just keep adding chips, and I don't want to be scribbling too many running notes. Ego, maybe?
It is easier to pay attention to how they are playing. If they are making obvious/big mistakes a lot then they are a losing player.

Quote:
For me, TheLangoliers reasoning seems the most probable and reasonable, but when its the ones that min. buy in, why? Ego, maybe?
Max buy-in is probably to maximize the amount you can win on any given hand. Min. auto-buy in is probably similar, like they want to keep their stack around that size. If they double up you will probably see them leave the table. Both min and max auto-buy in types could just be doing it out of convenience/laziness too.

Old
Auto top ups - Sun Jul 01, 2012, 08:09 PM
(#10)
Since: Nov 2011
I have my auto buy-in set to top up when it falls to 90% of my original stack. It's no big deal. I like to play with around 100 BB to have the chance to maximise big hand profits and I keep track of how the session is going on HM2.

Occasionally if there is a real big fish on the table with a bigger stack I will top up to his level, just in case I get the chance to stack off with him.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com