Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

premier qualifier league

Old
premier qualifier league - Sat Jun 09, 2012, 09:40 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011

so my thoughts were i should only be getting called by fairly strong hands,and the worst possible outcome happens,i run into an ace on the flop and aggression so i fold and it turns out to be a good fold at the time but by the end id given up the winner,any thoughts on how to better play the hand would be appreciated

this one was about three hands later ,i was probably steaming a little from the first one but i was much shorter in this hand and stuck it all in preflop

again this ones pretty straight forward on how to play it i suppose but again any thoughts are appreciated

Old
Sat Jun 09, 2012, 12:42 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Milehigh!

With KK, especially out of position, I want to be making a std raise, which for this blind level for me is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper. With 4 limpers in front of me, I'll bet 6.5BB or 5k. By betting less, it gives the opps better pot odds to try and outdraw me and I want as few of them in the hand as possible just incase an ace hits. If I can get the ace/rag hands to fold preflop, it will help my KK.

On the flop, I get an ace, a flush draw and a possible open-ended straight draw and now I've got a tough decision. I either need to check/fold or I need to make a c-bet that will price out a flush draw. With this many opps in the hand, if everyone stays, there is no way possible to price out everyone (another good reason to raise more preflop as I can price out 1 or 2 opps, but not 4). Since I can't price out everyone, I need to make a c-bet that is the size of the pot.... to price out as many of them as possible and thin the field. If I make a small bet, then the opps are making a +EV call, so I don't want to do this.
If I had made a std raise preflop, then I'd check the flop. With making too small of a raise preflop, the only way I'll find out where I'm at in the hand is to make a pot sized bet.... and I really don't want to do that, as it's very easy for me to not be ahead.

I'd have made a std raise, then checked the flop and with a bet/shove, I'm mucking.

Second KK hand:
Once again, with KK (this time in position) I'm making a std raise, which for me at this blind level is to 2.5BB, so I'll raise to 2k. When the opp shoves and I've got under 10BB left, I'm calling this, even in a league game, every single time. I need to try to accumulate chips and am very happy to play a premium hand for stacks at this point in the tournament.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com