Middle Pair - Proceed with Caution - Sun Jun 10, 2012, 09:20 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
General thoughts on play please.

Notes on Villain:
VPIP 23% - PFR 23% - High Aggression Factor

Backround Info

Holding good drawing hand in middle position so I'm hoping to see a flop as cheaply as possible with a good few players involved and hit the flop good. That didn't happen.

Instead I'm playing a single opponent in position and I've hit only middle pair with average kicker. Proceed with caution, right?

Just looking for some general thoughts on play and what would be the correct play when the turn gives me extra outs and my opponent checks it to me?

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 10, 2012, 03:39 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Paul,

Preflop I generally don't like limping in first, if everyone has folded to me I'd much rather raise to take the initiative in the hand or just fold, with JTs I'd probably raise. Definitely like calling his raise in position and seeing the flop. Also ok with calling one time on the flop as a float. On the turn with the equity we pick up I think I would actually check back now and take a free card. I don't think the villain is check-folding non-ace hands that beat us (KK/QQ), we'll get check-called by those, but he may fold worse. Since he's very aggressive, by checking back we avoid getting check-raised off our draw by strong hands, and we may induce him to bluff rivers with worse. So against this villain I like checking back, planning to call a reasonable river bet (or raise if we get there).

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 10:23 AM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the analysis. I do tend to limp in with a lot of these 'potential draw' type holdings with a sort of 'fit or fold' mentality.

I guess where it causes most problems is when I catch a piece of it, like I did here, and I'm left with the decision of whether or not I should proceed. More often than not it can lead to trouble.

Definitely something I need to work on.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 11:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Hey Royal,

If there's one thing I learned from reading on poker (sorry don't remember the author nor the book....lol)
If you are the first to act
"If you intend to play RAISE, if you don't intend in raising FOLD"
"A call is a sign of weakness pre flop"

I would of done my normal pre flop raise here
I would of also called the bet on the flop
After the turn, following his check, I would bet 60% of pot for the following reasons:
- If he was aggressive, he would of made a bet, you want to extract the most money possible from a player, so why wouldn't he?
- If he has an Ax, you have 14 outs (JJTTT and 9 Diamonds)
- By not betting, I'm telling him I don't have an A either and giving him the possibility that his KK or QQ or KQ are good
- Why give him an extra card to look at?

One more info which I think is very important is, Is he a regular?
By right clicking on him, you can see how many tables he's got open

So I would make a bet, hope I'm right, if not I write a note on this player
You win some and lose some

Last edited by Sandtrap777; Mon Jun 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 12:18 PM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Cheers Sand,

All makes perfect sense.

I can see now that open limping is a terrible play. I need to cut that out of my game. Maybe limp along with this holding if a few players have limped in ahead of me?

But definitely either an open-raise or fold is the right play, not an open limp.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com