Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2 NL 6 Max TPTK vs LP Fish

Old
2 NL 6 Max TPTK vs LP Fish - Sun Jun 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Villain was 53/27 after 152. Was not aggressive pre and postflop. I had been isolating him and cbetting him. His fold to cbet was 85%. Kind of fit or fold type, no goofy moves or bluff observed. Wheras his cbet was 36%. This was his 1st time 3betting, and was a rather small reraise.

Preflop: His reraise was rather small and my cards had playability post flop, thus calling. It would be a check fold if he cbets and I hit air. Was putting him on QQ+, AKo+

Flop: [QhTs2d] Checked to preflop raiser who cbets. I had TPTK and picked up a backdoor flush draw, so decided to call once. Plan was if any A, Q, any spades come, I will continue.

Turn: [6s] Good card for me since I had a flush draw now. Was contemplating whether to donk bet a semi bluff here, but decided not to.
1) I was OOP and he might raise me
2) He took a strong line by 3 betting and cbetting, most probably he has something and never folding
He fires 2nd barrel, looks like a value bet to me. It was big, but I had implied odds to go with thus I called.

River: [7h] Missed flush draw. Checked to him and he fires another value bet. Instinctively, I thought TPTK was never good here against a LP fish. Vs the top 3% of hands, I'm only beating TT, JJ and AK, thus folding.

I think the root of the problem was that he 3bet the min. Thus during the play, I didn't know if he was trying to get back at me or had a legitimate hand. If he raised me to 18 cents, most probably is a legitimate hand. He 3bet min but fires 3 strong barrels, kind of contradicting but might be normal for a fish who doesn't know about 3betting 3x.

Kind of hard to let TPTK go. What's your take on this hand? Easy fold?

Old
Sun Jun 10, 2012, 11:01 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

The small 3b from the button gets you heads up. I'm 4b with AQs folding to a shove. Some may think we are light to 4b, but at 2NL, if we get called it's easier to make decisions on the flop.

Just my 1bb

Old
Tue Jun 12, 2012, 12:07 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi TANW,

First I'm not quite understanding the info given, it seems to be conflicting. 53/27 is very loose and pretty aggressive pre, but then you said the villain is not aggressive either pre or post flop? Maybe the 27% was a typo, 53/7 or 53/2?

Anyway, vs. a passive opponent 3-betting, this is just a fold preflop tbh. The range of a very passive guy who has never 3b yet will be crushing AQ, and you're out of position. This hand does not have good post flop playability... the most likely way you will connect with the flop is hitting 1 pair, and vs. a strong range out of position, you have no idea how to play it well and will also find you flop a lot of 2nd best hands that are difficult to get away from (which is what I think happened here).

As played I do think post flop you played it fine. Check-call a c-bet with top top is ok, and you have to continue on the turn imo when he double barrels as he's extremely likely to have a strong hand and you can win a nice river bet when you get there, so the implied odds are right. I also like the fold to the river bet unimproved. This guys line combined with being super passive and 3-barreling strong on the river, easy fold, AQ is likely never good here.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 12, 2012, 09:43 AM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi TANW,

First I'm not quite understanding the info given, it seems to be conflicting. 53/27 is very loose and pretty aggressive pre, but then you said the villain is not aggressive either pre or post flop? Maybe the 27% was a typo, 53/7 or 53/2?

Dave
When he opens, it's always just 4 cents. His cbet is 36% while his fold to cbet is 85%

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com