Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl AQs in the BB against passive post flop player

Old
2nl AQs in the BB against passive post flop player - Mon Jun 11, 2012, 04:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Bullit3 is a pretty loose aggro player pre-flop playing 29/25. He C-bets 43% of the time when he is pref-flop raiser but other than this is very passive post flop with an AF of 0.71 .

I haven't seen him make any wild bluffs, he also doesn't take too much trash to showdown, such as 2nd/3rd pair. But he often has kicker problems with TP hands he does call down with.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Pre-flop I elected to just call in the BB as I thought that 3-betting would just bloat the pot when i'm out of postion. Also if he 4-bet I would have to fold, and his likely 3-bet calling range means i fold out a lot of worse hands.

I flop TP good kicker and decided to check for deception in the hope he would c-bet. He does and I c/r a little bigger than usual as I feel I nearly always have the best hand here; and figured once he raised he would call this size bet with worse hands.

The turn pairs the board and while this is quite a scary card but I decided to bet for value anyway. I thought I would still be able to get value from worse aces and smaller PP's and he might let me know he has a J by raising.

The river is another scary card but i didn't think he would get this far with KQ so I wasn't too worried about the straight. I decided to check trying to get to showdown as he had called 2 barrels and may well have me beat here, he led for under half pot.

The size of the bet made me wonder as I thought he might bet bigger with a J or even raise the turn. This looked more like a weak bluff attempt to me...

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are here and what the best action on the river both originally when i'm first to act and once he has bet..?

Thanks for any help croyd

Last edited by Croyd93; Mon Jun 11, 2012 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Cause i can't spell.

Old
Tue Jun 12, 2012, 12:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Croyd,

I think I would have played this hand differently all the way. First of all preflop what's his steal % and fold to 3b%? You didn't give these but indicated he was not calling 3b's light. My guess is he was probably stealing quite a bit from the button though. If that's true and he's not calling 3b's light I'd probably be 3-betting his button opens a lot, so I like to include hands like this for some balance. If he's not folding to 3b's a ton, then I like 3-betting for value pre since he in fact will call with worse hands I dominate like AT and KQ.

As played I would never check-raise this flop texture... this is part of my confusion about the read on the villain. Preflop you felt he would not call a 3b light, but now on the flop you think he'll call a check-raise (a much stronger action imo) light? Why? He doesn't take trash to showdown so why would he call this strong an action with 99 or something like that? You noted he sometimes can't let go of top pair/kicker problems, so basically we're going for a large pot vs. a worse ace with this action, while building a large pot for AA, AK, AJ, JJ, A2, 22. It seems very thin to me.

The other part of the read is that he's passive post flop (even his c-bet of 43% is very low). This spot might call for a check/call - bet line... let him c-bet once then bet for value. This is a line he's likely not used to seeing and it may confuse him into just calling with AK, but also calling you down with weaker aces and maybe some pocket pairs simply because he doesn't know what's going on when you check-call flop, lead turn. And you still get that information you thought you might get check-raising, if he raises your turn lead you can very sure you're beat and simply fold.

As played I probably call, but I'm not happy about the pot being this big on the river... at least he didn't make me put his whole stack in like he should have if he's got the best hand.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 12, 2012, 07:57 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi dave,

I went back and checked his stats... His BTN steal% is 57 and his fold to 3-bet% is 50 (but this is only from 2 times that he has been 3-bet). I understand now that it is much better to 3-bet pre on a wider range as hands as if he folds a lot I can pick up the dead money in the pot; and if he calls a lot i can dominate him with hands such as this AQs.

I decided to check-raise as I felt if he c-bet then he most likely has a piece of the board that he is willing to stick around on. However I see that what my check-raise actually accomplished was to build a big pot while narrowing his range to a few worse aces and hands that i'm losing to. I like your line much better as it doesn't narrow his range so much as my bet does, while getting him to call down with worse hands. Also with your line he most probably raises me with better hands.

In the end I decided to call as I thought that if he did have such a strong hand he would surely make it bigger. He had Ac6c even though I won the pot I wasn't happy at all with how I played the hand. I think that my biggest problem in this hand was not using my read effectively and is something I need to work on.

Thanks for the great analysis.

Croyd

P.s As a side question what flops in general are good to check-raise?

Thanks again

Old
Tue Jun 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Yeah, if he's opening the button 57% he'll be getting 3b by me a fair bit of the time, so I like to have some hands like this in that range as well as opposed to just steals and monsters. Fold to 3b sample size of 2 doesn't mean anything yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
P.s As a side question what flops in general are good to check-raise?
Against a player who doesn't c-bet frequently, maybe not many. Your best shot for this is probably small flops, they type where he might c-bet AK because he thinks he likely still has the best hand and that flop mostly misses you, then he'll fold it to a c/r. And flops where you are very strong (2 pair+), so if he c-bets he presumably has something (probably an ace) and you can build the pot with a c/r, and if he doesn't c-bet he probably wasn't calling a donk bet by you anyway so maybe we get some bluff catching calls later in the hand.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com