Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

PSO Open Skill League

Old
PSO Open Skill League - Mon Jun 11, 2012, 08:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi guys!

I'm playing the PSO Open Skill League this month. But I was kind of disappointed after taking a look at the Leaderboard of last month. My question is:
Can I compete with the guys that are playing 5-6 PSO Open Skill Leagues a day ? Can I at least reach the 1500th position playing 1-2 tournaments a day?

Cuz let's tell the truth. Not all of us can play 5-6 PSO Open Skill Leagues a day. That acctually sounds crazy, 5 games a day would be around 20 hours a day. Completly crazy lol.

What u guys think ? Can I grind the Open Skill League and still have a life ? lol

thanks

Old
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 09:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
***moved to more appropriate forum JWK24***

At the beginning of the month, probably not. But the later in the month it is... absolutely. Once a player's score goes up, it'll be harder to get points, so more tourneys can work against them.

If you are going to try to play 1-2/day, you will need to make sure that they are quality games, with no early outs.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 11, 2012, 11:24 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Every time I qualified for the Premier league, I did it playing only one game a day, with maybe two on weekends. It can be done, but you need to be VERY patient. Negative points are killers, you need to score positive points almost every game, good luck!!

Old
39 tournaments - Mon Jun 11, 2012, 11:33 PM
(#4)
Hi fp_boss77. Last month irgendnekto finished 100th playing just 39 tournaments. His last game cost him an even higher finish as he busted out early for a big negative score. He is now playing in the premier league. To be successful you must pick your spots to get involved in a hand carefully. If you are in doubt your best option is likely folding.

Come out to live training this Sunday for some tips from PokerStars pros frosty012 and Sunday Special guest talonchick!

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
It's easier than you think... - Mon Jun 11, 2012, 11:43 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_boss77 View Post
Hi guys!

I'm playing the PSO Open Skill League this month. But I was kind of disappointed after taking a look at the Leaderboard of last month. My question is:
Can I compete with the guys that are playing 5-6 PSO Open Skill Leagues a day ? Can I at least reach the 1500th position playing 1-2 tournaments a day?

Cuz let's tell the truth. Not all of us can play 5-6 PSO Open Skill Leagues a day. That acctually sounds crazy, 5 games a day would be around 20 hours a day. Completly crazy lol.

What u guys think ? Can I grind the Open Skill League and still have a life ? lol

thanks

If things go well 1500th place can be achieved in as little as twenty games, and you have plenty of time left in the month to get there. I will try to post 3 blog links here that may help give you perspective on where you need to be.

Cheers

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/post/?id=28305
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/post/?id=28865
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/post/?id=29661

Last edited by bearxing; Tue Jun 12, 2012 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: insert valid link

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 10:59 AM
(#6)
Thanks Guys !

Great posts Tonk Shuffle, a lot of good information there.

And about what JWK24 said:
"Once a player's score goes up, it'll be harder to get points, so more tourneys can work against them."
I didn't get it. How does the points are harder to get when u play a lot of tournament?

Old
Frustrated - Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2012
BronzeStar
This has happened to me twice now! First hand of the tournament i get AK off sitting on the BB! 4 players have limped in! I raise 20x BB all 4 call! Rubbish comes out..8, 6, 10, everyone checks, turn comes an A! I shove and get called by a player who hits there kicker on the river! This has happened to me twice in a row now! having the best hand pre-flop, only to be beaten on the river! Ive lost a total of somewhere about 30 points!

The other night I set my alarm so I could play during the middle of the night, I woke up to register but fell back to sleep! I woke back to say that I finished 1414 out of 10,000! I received 14 points I think!

So am I better off registering in this tournament and not playing a single hand?? I hope not, but its working for me!!

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_boss77 View Post
Thanks Guys !

Great posts Tonk Shuffle, a lot of good information there.

And about what JWK24 said:
"Once a player's score goes up, it'll be harder to get points, so more tourneys can work against them."
I didn't get it. How does the points are harder to get when u play a lot of tournament?
the higher ur ranking, the more u are penalized for bad finishes, and the less u earn for good finishes

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 03:22 PM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodermatt View Post
First hand of the tournament i get AK off sitting on the BB! 4 players have limped in! I raise 20x BB all 4 call! Rubbish comes out..8, 6, 10, everyone checks, turn comes an A! I shove and get called by a player who hits there kicker on the river! This has happened to me twice in a row now!

So am I better off registering in this tournament and not playing a single hand??
If this is a typical example of how you play the Open League, yes !

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 08:36 PM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2012
BronzeStar
How do you play in the Open league then?

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 09:39 PM
(#11)
First hand of the tourney AK is a definite fold in the Open league, too many crazies playing ATC. When I played the Open League, I was only playing 1 game per day, so my finishes were critical. Pretty much everything was a fold for the first hour.

After that, I might expand my range to include QQ, KK & AA. This range would continue till I had about 4 BB, then I would look fo a hand with shove potenital, and hope I could hang on.

Beleive it or not, this strategy got me to the Premier. Lessons learned along the way and a better BR mean I don`t have to play this way anymore.

Still, I appreciate the lessons learned here, and would recommend grinding PSO for the experience.

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 10:41 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
First hand of the tourney AK is a definite fold in the Open league, too many crazies playing ATC. When I played the Open League, I was only playing 1 game per day, so my finishes were critical. Pretty much everything was a fold for the first hour.

After that, I might expand my range to include QQ, KK & AA. This range would continue till I had about 4 BB, then I would look fo a hand with shove potenital, and hope I could hang on.

Beleive it or not, this strategy got me to the Premier. Lessons learned along the way and a better BR mean I don`t have to play this way anymore.

Still, I appreciate the lessons learned here, and would recommend grinding PSO for the experience.

But how did u play the "playable" hands ? just shoving ? or rasing and hoping for less than 2 players call you. Cuz these maniacs call raises with the worst hands ever (and hit something), and playing AK or big pocket pair with 4-5 players in the pot is not that easy.

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:04 PM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi fp_boss!

I'm mucking AK early, as I don't want to play a non-made hand. With hands that I'm willing to play early, I will make a std raise and if it's not AA, it's being mucked to a shove.

I don't open-shove in league games until I'm below 5BB and even then, only with a made hand. Lasting longer in them is worth way too much. By the time I'm down to 5BB, the overwhelming majority of the maniacs will be gone, so it's not as much of a consideration.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com