Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

Advice for travelling europe?

Old
Advice for travelling europe? - Wed Jun 13, 2012, 02:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Inspired by Honu's post I decided to see where the PSO community has been (or live) and if I can glean any advice from our vast community.

So what i would like help with is any info on certain citys around europe as on July 4th I am jetting off to Europe for one month. My route will be:
  • Paris
  • Brussels
  • Amsterdam
  • Prague
  • Vienna
  • Croatia-Plitivice National Park
  • Venice
  • Florence
  • Rome
  • Southern France (not exactly sure where yet)
  • Barcelona

It is quite a lengthy trip and I'm trying to get in as much as possible in one month. So I was wondering if anyone has some general advice for travelling, or some more specific advice such as what to see in a certain citys?

Thanks for any help

Croyd

Old
Wed Jun 13, 2012, 07:51 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2011
Only 1 thing i know and love to do in Amsterdam, lol, take a guess.....

Na man, sounds like a really fun trip, enjoy it, you guna have a blast!!

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 07:53 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briany84 View Post
Only 1 thing i know and love to do in Amsterdam, lol, take a guess.....

Na man, sounds like a really fun trip, enjoy it, you guna have a blast!!
I think they just changed the law there making that activity illegal for foreigners...

Florence and Rome are fantastic! My only tip is drink Brunello di Montalcino while in Italy!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 08:18 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2011
I would really suggest to visit an island (Mallorca, Ibiza, Gran Canaria, Cyprus, Malta, etc)

Team PokerSchoolOnline - Christopher

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 08:26 AM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland GTX View Post
I think they just changed the law there making that activity illegal for foreigners...

Florence and Rome are fantastic! My only tip is drink Brunello di Montalcino while in Italy!

Roland GTX

They only changed the law in Netherlands in the Southern Regions, to stop people driving across the borders to get what they wanted..

if u travel to Amsterdam, anyone of Age with a Passport is cool

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 06:21 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSOGefallener View Post
I would really suggest to visit an island (Mallorca, Ibiza, Gran Canaria, Cyprus, Malta, etc)
Would love to go to many of these places (been to cyprus before) but I'm travelling by train so unfortunately islands aren't an option, thanks for the advice though.

Also thanks for the advice guys, I'm really looking forward to it . Also Roland is this drink a beer? Sounds kinda posh but I'm up for trying it

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 07:17 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The brunello is a high end Italian wine.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 15, 2012, 06:40 AM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSOGefallener View Post
He is LEAVING an Island to go to the CONTINENT! Though Ibiza WAS great back in the day...

If you really want to go to an Island many of the thousands around Scotland are spectacular - you don't need a passport, and the whisky is amazing.

Enjoy your trip - sounds great - my favourite European cities were Barcelona and Lisbon, and I really liked Malaga too - but I haven't travelled too extensively. Nothing beats Edinburgh.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Fri Jun 15, 2012, 06:54 AM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
The brunello is a high end Italian wine.
JWK24 is right as usual. A bottle of Brunello will run you at least 30 -40 dollars (euro), but it's worth every penny

Check out Belgium if it's beer you want...

Roland GTX

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 02:52 PM
(#10)
Thanks for all the advice guys, I will be on the plane in less than 12 hours I have easy game printed out and ready to keep me occupied on the trains so my game doesn't get rusty.

I'll try keep my blog updated en route if anyone is interested.

See you in a month and good luck on the felt.

Croyd

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 09:25 PM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
That sounds like a trip of a lifetime ... you guys must be sooooo excited!!!

My dad did a work thingie in Paris for a year when I was a kid, and I'll bet you guys'll have fun no matter what you do

One thing I remember from when I was a kid were those boat tours that cruise the Seine all day long. And I'd see them and ask my parents to take us on one of those boat tours the same way I'd ask for candy and toys, and they'd be all like, 'mehhh ... city boat cruises = tacky tourist trap'. And then guess what, one day we went one of those boats with school, and it was so spectacular ... Like okay, my parents were totally right about the tacky tourist trap thingie ... but Paris is so stunningly beautiful, I just loved it. Although I must admit, since I was only 7 I also loved cartoons, thought Santa was the bomb, etc, so ... I can't be sure, but I thought maybe you guys might find it very romantic if you have the time for it since all the city landmarks are lit up at night and stuff - it's so pretty. Or if you've gotten tired from all the walking and stuff, etc.

That's all I could think of ... that, and the food was incredible! YUM!!!

Will be fun to hear about the other stuff you see in all the other cities - pretty exciting!

Old
Mon Jul 09, 2012, 06:10 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post

That's all I could think of ... that, and the food was incredible! YUM!!!
Oh ... that came out wrong ... meant to say that the food in France overall is yummy - not the food on the boat cruise (food on boat cruise = tacky tourist trap )

Like the chocolate eclairs, and the ham and cheese sandwiches (croque monsieur), the steak frites with the roquefort sauce, the escargots with the garlic butter and some fresh crusty baguette on the side, etc. YUM!!!

One time at school they served us cow brain for lunch ... and then when we all went 'eeew', they rolled out the eclairs and told us we couldn't have the dessert until we ate the cow brain, and so I ate it. I'd do anything for an eclair! The cow brain wasn't so bad I guess ... kinda tasted like chicken ...

Last edited by TrustySam; Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 06:15 PM..

Old
Thu Jul 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
(#13)
Since: Apr 2011
Hi Sam,
just wondering did you try, snails & frog legs too? and if yes what did, taste like.

Old
Thu Jul 12, 2012, 05:38 PM
(#14)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Best teach him some French Sam

Old
Sat Jul 14, 2012, 04:33 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar

I'd come say hi, but I'm not posting anymore.

oh wait ...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com