Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

SB calles 3x raise me UTG 55

Old
SB calles 3x raise me UTG 55 - Wed Jun 13, 2012, 08:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
ChromeStar
Yes he has over pair, with the flopped house I thought I could extracted more chips from him by checking both flop and turn, as it turned out he had high pair with good kicker and called my all in bet, was this move the best or could I have done more to get more chips?

Last edited by 0Magic14; Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: sorry I was UTG and Villian was Cutoff

Old
Wed Jun 13, 2012, 11:17 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi 0Magic14!

With 55, I could complete and try to setmine, or I would make a std raise to 400 (3BB+1BB for each limper).

The flop gives me bottom full house. When I flop a set or full house like this, if I'm in position, I'll just call an opp's bet, but if there is no bet in front of me, I want to make a value bet for two reasons. 1) to build the pot 2) to keep someone that may have a draw for a better hand from having a +EV draw (I don't want someone with 6x or a pocket pair higher than 5's to be drawing for free)
With no bet before me, since I'm first to act, I'll make a 1/2 pot of 390 here.

I'll do the exact same thing on the turn. Since I'm first to act, I'll bet 1/2 pot again. If the opp raises me, I'm calling.

On the river, the pot will be large enough that it's an easy shove for me. If the opp has 65, 68, 63 or 88, so be it. I'll say nh and start up another game. If not, then I just felted the opp and have a stack that will be a great start for a deep run.

By building a pot at the flop/turn, it's easier to get the opp to call a shove on the river and it also will price out their draws if they have one to a better hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com