Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Betting a straight card on the river that also completes flushes

Old
Betting a straight card on the river that also completes flushes - Thu Jun 14, 2012, 06:50 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
I was playing 'creatively' a bit here - the opp to my left got out of the way and left me against an opponent who was making weak bets. My pair improved to a straight with a club that completed runner/runner flushes but I bet the river and got reraised - what type of hands could my opp have and how much equity do I have in the pot? Should I call or go away? They only have a smallish stack so if I am staying in should I shove back?

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Thu Jun 14, 2012 at 06:58 AM..

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 07:11 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
***moved to HA since member has ?'s on the hand JWK24***

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 07:17 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
***moved to HA since member has ?'s on the hand JWK24***
Well that is where I meant to put it - time for another visit to the optometrist?

('cool' icon used here denoting oncoming blindness...)

Ed

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 10:29 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Ed,

The villain starts the hand with an odd short stack of 76bb's so he's probably not a good player. I don't like getting min-raised on the river, that's usually a sign if great strength, but vs. a bad player I would at least call here as they might over value 2 pair or sets, or even have a hand like A9 and be raising with the same straight.

I'm not sure about putting him the rest of the way in. There are a lot of ways we can be beat here obviously. I expect him to always call off the last .52c since he just min-raised the river for more than this, so the way to evaluate is if we think we will be winning more than half the time, we should put it in, and if we don't, we should just call. I think it's close here, so it's not a very important decision either way. Given how strong his river raise looks to me though I'll err on the side of caution and just call.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 15, 2012, 05:09 AM
(#5)
Thanks Dave,

The opponent went on to prove himself a poor player - so I think a call here was justifiable. I don't think I played the hand too well either tbh - but it was one of those I thought I was probably ahead from the flop due to his weak line - but wasn't committed enough to the hand to test him on earlier streets.

I didn't contemplate shoving back on the river at the time, that was an afterthought when I reviewed the hand, with added info having seen him play so badly after this hand and call off several worst hands that he got overcommitted to until he bust and left.

Here was the outcome.

Sadly he did have it here - which almost seems to prove how bad he was until he finally hits a big river. I think if he missed the flush he would still have called my river bet with the 77, (that seemed to be his only line of play in this type of situation in later hands anyway) but the reraise obviously meant he had something and this time it was not the worst.

Cheers and good luck all

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Fri Jun 15, 2012 at 05:15 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com