Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

SNG course.

Old
SNG course. - Thu Jun 14, 2012, 12:32 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
Hi,

Has anyone here tried the SNG course, and if so, how have you found it?

I appreciate it has been written by a professional, but I can't help but finding it super tight during the first three blind levels. There were times when folding KQs just didn't seem the right play.

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 12:42 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Hi Shodan388

A very warm welcome to Pokerschoolonline.

You are right, the sng course was written by a professional,all of the courses are mainly designed for players who perhaps do not have quite the same poker knowledge as you, however players who follow the course and take on board the strategies suggested usually improve there game.

You may also like to go here, where you will find plenty of information you may find usefull.

Good luck, enjoy your stay.

Tony

Old
Thu Jun 14, 2012, 05:01 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Welcome to PSO Shodan388,

There's lots of very helpful members here so post plenty of questions and hands for review.

Great to see you here and good luck on the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wink
SnG course - Sun Jun 24, 2012, 06:10 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
BronzeStar
Hi, I read through the SnG course and I think it is very useful. You must make sure that you adopt the 'guidelines' depending on what type of opponents your playing. If your playing in micro-stakes (like me) then it is common for people to play a really wide range, therefore you can marginally loosen your range. Personally, I think it's nice to see a flop in the early stages with category 4+, firstly because the blinds are so small relative to your stack size, and secondly if you flop a monster hand/draw, then it is likely your opponent is going to pay you off big time.

Just make sure you adapt to your opponents in terms of using the SnG course as a guideline. As you climb the stakes in terms of buy ins, you probably want to stick more and more to the course.

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 03:52 AM
(#5)
Yes, I often have thought (as great as the advice is in that strategy), that folding KQ or AJ in some of those early stages just doesn't sit right with me, so I agree with you, OutTheHouse, that slightly loosening ones range should be advantageous.

I also concur that with higher buy ins, the formula would be more likely to be effective (not forgetting multi tabling at micro stakes level either) since players would be less inclined to make 'bad plays'. This is something I'm sure I'm not alone in observing, that, you get such a wide range of player types in play money - micro stakes.

Last edited by Shodan388; Sun Jul 01, 2012 at 03:59 AM..

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 09:49 AM
(#6)
Also, when you're reading the tables for advice during the game, does 'one to two seats off the button' apply behind the button (as in anti-clockwise), as well as in front (which I realize it does)?

Thanks.

Old
Mon Jul 02, 2012, 07:04 AM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2012
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan388 View Post
Yes, I often have thought (as great as the advice is in that strategy), that folding KQ or AJ in some of those early stages just doesn't sit right with me, so I agree with you, OutTheHouse, that slightly loosening ones range should be advantageous.

I also concur that with higher buy ins, the formula would be more likely to be effective (not forgetting multi tabling at micro stakes level either) since players would be less inclined to make 'bad plays'. This is something I'm sure I'm not alone in observing, that, you get such a wide range of player types in play money - micro stakes.
Yeah the microstakes SnG have a wide range of players. Some will be raising very loose UTG as they are just recreational players, and they regard hands like ATs as a monster. But there are also multi-tabling grinders in the microstakes, they have a lot of experience and tend to be very aggressive.

I think the main thing in terms of the early stage is to really avoid bluffing, especially if you raised 3/4x preflop and the flop came something like KsQs9, as it's more likely they will of hit. Avoid C-bets into multiple opponents e.g. 3+, (unless you hit good and need to protect against draws) as they will just call and launch a bet on the turn and it will make you look weak if you insta-fold.

However, always C-bet when against 1 opponent, especially if you were the pre-flop aggressor. If he calls, either fold on the turn or the river. Unless you pick up additional outs and get some good pot-odds.

but yeh, always adjust your play style

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com