Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Easy fold or easy call or inbetween ?

Old
Easy fold or easy call or inbetween ? - Sat Jun 16, 2012, 10:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2009
Hi this was a $1 SNg for 45 players top 7 get paid and Im 4th out of 8 left in and I have 2 questions

Q1 With what hands should I call with if this wasnt the bubble ?

Q2 With what hands should I call with and this is the bubble ?

i know what my hand was obvviously but I wont tell you

elguaje28 hadbeen playing quite tight but only had 4 big blinds
MixpokerArt also quite tight but onl yhas just over 2 big blinds

PokerStars Hand #81837156224: Tournament #573432871, $0.91+$0.09 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level X (300/600) - 2012/06/12 4:53:54 WET [2012/06/11 23:53:54 ET]
Table '573432871 5' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: nickthebrit9 (8146 in chips)
Seat 2: ambarito (19620 in chips)
Seat 3: domloyer (11076 in chips)
Seat 4: elguaje28 (2775 in chips)
Seat 5: MixpokerArt (1685 in chips)
Seat 6: ll NAKER ll (12557 in chips)
Seat 8: Anibalin (3848 in chips)
Seat 9: checkraiise (7793 in chips)
nickthebrit9: posts the ante 50
ambarito: posts the ante 50
domloyer: posts the ante 50
elguaje28: posts the ante 50
MixpokerArt: posts the ante 50
ll NAKER ll: posts the ante 50
Anibalin: posts the ante 50
checkraiise: posts the ante 50
checkraiise: posts small blind 300
nickthebrit9: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to nickthebrit9 [Xh Yc]
ambarito: folds
domloyer: folds
elguaje28: raises 2125 to 2725 and is all-in
MixpokerArt: calls 1635 and is all-in

The small blind folded

Been thinking thsiover for a few days and thought did I make a big mistake in folding but how do I know how can I find out?

Please help thanks - I gues the reaon ive singled thsi out is because if I had of called I would have got a fullhouse and won , but I didntcall...but what hands shouldI have called with here ?

Thanks Nick

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 12:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi nicthebrit9!

Welcome to the forum.

To call this, I would need to put 2125 into a pot that will be 7785, which is 27.3%.

Here is where I would need to know how the players are playing and my 2 cards. If my cards have more than 27.3% equity vs the opp's ranges, then I would call. If they have less than 27.3%, then I muck.
With the two opps being the shortest stacks, I would normally think that their shoving range should be wider than normal. They may have been playing tighter during the game, but really should be shoving much wider here. For example, they may have been playing top 5% or top 10% hands during the tourney, but at this stage, they should be playing a much wider range, say any pair, broadway or ace.

Without knowing my 2 cards, I can't put these ranges into pokerstove to see what my real equity is.... if it ends up over 27.3% I call, if not then I muck.... but.. I need to know the two cards to say one way or another, as this is critical information.

Please provide the cards and I will gladly give you and answer as to what I'd do. Without this information, there is no way to say whether the correct play is a call or fold.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thumbs up
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 05:44 PM
(#3)
Hi John

Thanks for welcome and reply....whuilst reading what to post I may have misunderstoood and it said do not give the results but I forgotto give my hand

I agree with the 27.3% buthow much of an edge do I need?

For example lets ay it works out at 27.9% myhand i mean

Also does the bubble make it I needa bit more % or a bit less ?

I also agree that they should be shoving wider (but it turns out they werent ) a s it turns out

yes the first guy was playing 5% +

My hand was KQ offsuit

I have just done it in pokerstovebut I stil be very interested in your results to double check with mine (I was surprised thats all im saying for now as I donot want to give it away or influence you)

Thank you gl2u2

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Nick!

If it's anywhere above 27.3% then I'm calling, regardless of by how much. By playing games according to good bankroll management (100 buy-ins), I can try to take advantage of all +EV plays.

Using a pair, broadway or ace for both, I get 32.5% equity in my hand from pokerstove (and yes, the opps could be at the top end of this range). Over +5%EV, especially at the bubble.... I'm going to want to take advantage of every chance that I can get. Yes, I'll lose some of them, but by winning the hand, I can have a chip stack for a deep run in the tourney and for moving up the payscale.

I know the 45 man tourneys very well, between the various levels of them that I've played, both micro stakes and play money (can only do the play money ones right now, since I'm in the US), I've played a few hundred of them. By using the bankroll management, I can take this type of chance on a +EV play, as the times when I hit and win the hand, I'll be able to get a much higher payout than a minimum one and the pay jumps for the top 3 places are what I want to get in these tourneys. Yes, I may cash a few less times, but the larger cashes for the top 3's will get me a higher ROI in the long run.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 08:00 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
hey nick

i will take my chances

why?

because this is a great chance to bust both guys and your not at risk and your at the BB position which means no one can put you at risk

this is gamble time for me

if you lose your not yet out if you win you have a nice stacks

and KQ is not a bad hand for opp's that have 4bb's or less which means they can shove with low pairs and hands like KJ

Old
Mon Jun 18, 2012, 03:18 AM
(#6)
hey u2

It turned out first guy was shoving 4bb with 99 (i knew he been tight)...and the just over2bb guy calle d his allin with 77...of course flop was 56K then Q then K so iwould have busto them both and made my fullhouse

there was another hand in this game where i folded A3 and if i had of called this small stack would have busted just b4 the final table...and he went on to dominateand win the tournament....im goign to go try find the A3 hand and see if that was an incorrect fold by me also

when i gamble with them i get lot of swear words in the chat lol how do you guys cope with that?

I guess im putting them on too tight of a range when they shove

I gave them both top5% and pokerstove said fold so I thought i had done good in folding

In my mind i thought oh good they bust each other b t then i thought i could bust both but theyboth might beat me...I was in a real quandary

Oh when can the USA play again ?

Yes you have both helped me definitely thanks

Last edited by nickthebrit9; Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 03:21 AM..

Old
Mon Jun 18, 2012, 02:51 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthebrit9 View Post

when i gamble with them i get lot of swear words in the chat lol how do you guys cope with that?
Hi Nick!

Honestly, I just laugh at them. If it bothers you, then all you need to do is to turn the chat off.

When it gets near the bubble, the short stacks, especially the lowest, really needs to be shoving a wider range than normal, as they need to accumulate chips quickly, so that they are not the bubble. That's why I put a larger range in for them. If it was a mid stack doing it, then I'd assign a much tighter range to that player.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 18, 2012, 07:04 PM
(#8)
Hi John !

Thank you for your help

I have now found the A3 hand but I will start a new thread

Cheers

Nick

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com