Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Tournament poker is so much fun

Old
Tournament poker is so much fun - Sun Jun 17, 2012, 01:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
SilverStar

Given that I make a huge three bet preflop and get two callers I intended to push any flop, this particular flop is obviously bad but given the action I thought they would have high card hands or big pairs. Jack ten is a fun surprise. What could I do differently? I am not check folding the flop, I'm not betting half pot and folding... perhaps I should have mucked preflop. Seriously though, is there anything I can do here?

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 10:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi hamburglarid!

What type of tourney is this from? A cash tourney or a league game?

If it's a cash tourney, with KK, I'm going to make a 3-bet preflop with KK and I'd size it between a pot size raise and 3X the previous bet. Since there was a caller of the initial raise, I'll opt toward the higher end and raise to 575.
The flop does not bring a pair nor an ace, so since I've got just over a pot size bet left, I'm shoving the flop. Just incase I lose the hand, this is a good example of why bankroll management is so important.... I want my chips to be in the pot in this type of situation.

If this is a league game:
Preflop with a limp, raise and call of the raise in front of me, since it's early and I don't want to get ko'd for negative points, I'm flatting the std raise to 160 since I'm out of position.
The flop brings the three unders and here I'll lead for 1/2 pot and if the opp shoves over me, I'm mucking.
If the opps call and I see the J on the turn (so that any 10 beats me, let alone 2 pair or a set), I'm check/folding.
Survival and not getting negative league points is my only concern... not taking a risk to get a larger chip stack.
Especially in a league game, I don't want to be stuck to a hand. If the situation arises that I need to muck, I should be ready to muck any cards that I'm holding, even aces.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 17, 2012, 03:41 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
SilverStar
It is a cash tournament. I 3 bet large because there is a 4x raise and a call and I'm out of position. I was hoping to take down the pot or get it in preflop.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com