Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl KK not much info on villain

Old
2nl KK not much info on villain - Mon Jun 18, 2012, 12:24 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Only been at the table for 14 hands. The villain doesn't seem a very good player from what has been observed, he also seems pretty passive postflop. Haven't seen him take any hands to showdown yet.

I re-raise pre for obvious reasons and continued to bet the flop for value (pretty big) as I think am likely to get called by overcards and worse PP's. When he checks to me again on the turn I bet for value again he is pretty short so I bet 2/3 pot, he then min re-raises me which I did not expect at all.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I think once I get re-raised here he is showing a lot of strength and I should probably fold. Is this correct or could he ever do this with a worse hand?

Also I bet the turn as I thought stubborn overcards may call as well as med PP or a spiked T however I did not plan ahead in case I got raised. If I had done so I might have been inclined to check back the turn, would this have been a better play?

Thanks for any advice

Croyd

Old
Mon Jun 18, 2012, 02:20 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
Hi Croyd,

I am not an expert, but since you said he is probably not a good player, I would not give him too much credit for his check-raise. He might be doing this with any overpair and any Tx type of hand, where x is J or higher. And of course also with any 9, p5 and pT.

I think that against this range of hands you still stand better than 30:70 (didn't check though). This would give you valid pot odds. So imho, I would definitely call or actually put him all in for his remaining few chips.

AC

Old
Tue Jun 19, 2012, 11:12 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Yeah, I think your line is fine. 2.5 orbits is not enough info but the general feeling that he's fishy plus the odd non-standard stack size also indicates this may well be the case, and I'm not folding to him. The spr is 5 and I think although he's definitely showing a lot of strength and I'm not thrilled by this turn action, he may well do this with QQ or JJ not realizing relative hand strength these are not monsters here. I don't mind barreling for value here, and think we are committed vs. a player that is largely an unknown in a low spr spot.

Raise a bit larger pre is about all I'd do different, when we expect to get loose action charge them more and bloat the pot a bit more, lowering the spr a bit.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com