Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2 NL 6 Max QQ vs unknown Preflop

Old
2 NL 6 Max QQ vs unknown Preflop - Wed Jun 20, 2012, 06:09 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Villain Biggsies just came in with full stack and only had 12 hands with him. Not much reads
except that he had PFR twice.

Preflop: There was some dead money and I decided to raise it for value. He min 3bets in the SB. I wanted to know where my QQ stood, thus I 4bet him. He called.

Flop: Very bad flop for us. Villain's range to call a 4 bet could easily be JJ+. AA/ KK/ JJ/ AK would have beat me here. He donk bets, most likely for value, and thus I folded.

So preflop what could I have done differently? Should I have just flat his 3bet, not inflating the pot?

Old
Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:06 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
I think your play is fine, I would have done exactly the same. Since his 3bet was very small, I think he is not a very good player. So I would even add AT+ to his hand range. Still his range beats you and a fold is imho the right move.

AC

Old
Wed Jun 20, 2012, 04:18 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi TANW,

Don't raise "to see where you're at"... raise for value or as a bluff. Obv. raising QQ pre is not a bluff, but it's fine as a value bet. Case in point, did you figure out where you're at? No, not really. If he folds to the 4b, you were ahead and lost value. If he 5b's you are probably behind but spend maybe more than necessary to find that out, and still can't be sure vs. an unknown. If he flats, you still have no idea.

I generally prefer to flat his 3b here because:

-The villain is unknown
-min 3b's can be a weak player tell of great strength
-We have position, and further inflating the pot negates our positional advantage
-I won't know what to do to a 5b vs. an unknown
-4-betting tends to fold out the worse parts of his range that we are crushing, and only get us action from the top parts which QQ will be trickier to play against.

As played, I begrudgingly fold the flop too.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 21, 2012, 05:59 AM
(#4)
Ok thanks a lot guys. Just curious, why did he want to donk into me if he had the best hand on the flop?

Old
Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAwesomeNW View Post
Just curious, why did he want to donk into me if he had the best hand on the flop?
You need to ask him that.

Seriously, he's got a reason. It may or may not make good poker sense, and we can't presume to know what it is.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 22, 2012, 05:56 AM
(#6)
Lol ok. Thinking back, I used to donk bet into the PF raiser cos I didn't know usually we check to them haha

Old
Sat Jun 23, 2012, 11:05 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAwesomeNW View Post
Ok thanks a lot guys. Just curious, why did he want to donk into me if he had the best hand on the flop?
Stupid and ridiculous question from me though haha

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com