Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl. TT in BB. Shortstack BTN raises

Old
2nl. TT in BB. Shortstack BTN raises - Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
I have little info on the SB he has only been at the table for a few hands however I already think he is a fishy as he has played nearly every hand. The button is a fish and playing a LAG style badly. He is running 32/16 and overvalues weak hands.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

When the BTN raises and the SB calls I want to isolate on the BTN and would be happy to get it all in pre with him. I decided to 3-bet to 29c to try and get HU with the BTN and I am willing to commit to nearly any flop if he calls. I didn't want to make a raise to 61c to put him all in pre as I think that if the SB calls and the flop is unfavorable, things could get trciky especially if he leads out. The 3-bet to 29c also alows me to comfotably fold if the SB gets crazy and puts in a big 4-bet.

Just wondering if the best play would have been to put the BTN all in or was the smaller 3-bet a better option.

Thanks for any advice

Croyd

Old
Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
I decided to 3-bet to 29c to try and get HU with the BTN and I am willing to commit to nearly any flop if he calls. I didn't want to make a raise to 61c to put him all in pre as I think that if the SB calls and the flop is unfavorable, things could get trciky especially if he leads out. The 3-bet to 29c also alows me to comfotably fold if the SB gets crazy and puts in a big 4-bet.
I like your bet sizing. It's very unlikely to get to that tricky post flop spot imo and the BTN generally is going to fold or jam, and with the bet sizing you chose his jam reopens the betting. If the SB flat calls a BTN jam, I would shove pre and force him to call off bad or fold after putting a bunch of bets in preflop. I think the SB's range in this scenario will be a lot of moderately big aces like AQ-AT and pocket pairs lower than your TT mostly. No tricky post flops just great preflop spots.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 21, 2012, 09:34 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi dave thanks for the evaluation.

Just wondering if you could explain what you mean exactly when you say 're-opens the betting' I've heard this before and know that sometimes you can only call and not raise if an opponent goes all in and doesn't have enough behind, but how do you work it out?

Thanks again

Croyd

Old
Thu Jun 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
Hi dave thanks for the evaluation.

Just wondering if you could explain what you mean exactly when you say 're-opens the betting' I've heard this before and know that sometimes you can only call and not raise if an opponent goes all in and doesn't have enough behind, but how do you work it out?:
Sure,

Every player is entitled to the right to raise at least once each betting round. In order to raise more than once, someone else must "re-open the betting" by raising them. In order to do this they must make a legally sized raise, which in no limit is at least a minimum raise (matching the prior bet or raise size). So for example Player A is the $10 big blind, Player B raises making it $30 to go (a raise of $20). Another player wishing to raise again must raise at least as much as this, a minimum of $20 more (which would make it $50 to go). Let's say Player D decides to go all in now but only has $31. Since it's only $1 more, this is not a "legal" raise and does not reopen the betting to Player B. Anyone else who has not acted yet may raise Player B, including the big blind (everyone is entitled to at least 1 opportunity to raise). If the other players just call $31 however, Player B may not raise again as the betting hasn't been reopened (basically he would be raising himself, which is not allowed).

Also let's say there was a Player C, between B and D, who flat called the initial $30 raise. They too can only call the extra $1 (they have already had their opportunity to raise and failed to take it, so they are also subject to the "reopen the betting" rule).

If someone else had made a legal raise of B's $30, like let's say the big blind Player A exercises their option to raise and makes it $150 to go... now the betting is reopened and B (or C) would be able to raise again if they so choose.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com