Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl. Tough river spot against station.

Old
2nl. Tough river spot against station. - Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
At the time of this hand the sole note I had on the villain is that he is a calling station, he is playing 36/2 with an AF of 1.40.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Pre flop I isolate on him and then the flop comes great for me, I go for value on the flop and turn and then the gutshot comes in on the river he leads fairly small laying me great odds but showing strength which is out of character.

Is calling here okay?

Cheers for the advice.

Croyd

Old
Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi,

Preflop, flop, turn, it's all good imo. I'm calling him, yes. He can do this with worse jacks, and once in a while something stupid like QT even though that's out of character for a station. The price is good enough to look him up in light of this imo. I'm not all warm and fuzzy about it but I'm calling.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 21, 2012, 09:14 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks for the response dave. I did end up calling and he showed AQo I felt that I had got my note wrong as I wouldn't expect a calling station to try bluff the river like this. Or is it normal for a bad player to sometimes make weak river bets like these in an attempt to win the pot?

Croyd

Old
Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:55 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
It is not normal for a pure calling station to bluff the river (either small or large), so def make a note and add it to your reads going forward.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com