Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Strategy to Open Skill League

Old
Strategy to Open Skill League - Wed Jun 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey guys !
I've been playing the PSO Open Skill League for real since last month. And I wanted to ask u guys from the forum.

What are u guys optimal strategy for the PSO Open Skill League to score the most points through the month ?

Thanks !

Old
Wed Jun 20, 2012, 06:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Here's the way that I go about any of the leagues. I haven't been able to play since black friday, since I'm in the US, but here's what I did in the league when I could play.

Don't take any chances early, in other words, don't play anything even remotely marginal.

I don't want all my chips in (unless I'm blinded in) without having the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board.

Once I get ITM, then I try to accumulate chips to make a final table run.... NOT before getting ITM.

Don't worry about shoving when I get down to a given number of BB (like I would in a cash tourney). It's better to blind out and last longer for more league points, than it is to take a chance.

Also, do whatever I can to get ITM.... use clock, etc... anything that you can legally do to get there.. take full advantage of.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 21, 2012, 07:41 AM
(#3)
Here is my frustration lately...I am doing ok most months staying in the top 2000 people ( dont laugh at that I only play 21:00 games mostly ). Anyway if this is a poker school then why are there so many people who dont care to learn and make themselves better...why so many shove monkeys and bingo players. I try to only play power hands at the start but it seems ( 5 wins with pocket A's in 36 attempts) I keep getting donked out with crap a lot. If you check my progress every game that I am out early in was either a even match coin flip or donked out with the vast majority donking. It gets frustrated because I know I am better then what this shows but I cant seem to get out of this rutt. I am a serious learner wanting to improve my game and I am starting to do pretty good with some tourneys and SnG's. Do you think the best bet ( pun intended ) is to fold even the strongest hands until the shove monkeys and donks are out and then try to build my stack back up from that point.

Cheers and hope someone can help

Old
Thu Jun 21, 2012, 08:00 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi buddyzee!

I try not to take a coin-flip until I'm down to 2-3BB... any earlier would cost me points, as I could easily get KO'd from the tourney. Patience is a very large key in playing poker and that is one thing that these tourneys teach very well... as without patience, it will be hard to consistantly gain league points.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
strategy - Thu Jun 21, 2012, 09:01 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_boss77 View Post
Hey guys !
I've been playing the PSO Open Skill League for real since last month. And I wanted to ask u guys from the forum.

What are u guys optimal strategy for the PSO Open Skill League to score the most points through the month ?

Thanks !
Hi and welcom to the league---I too had to endure the open league sinse comming back and playing poker seriuosly---This was my strategy---first I open the lobby page and monitor the players list---- check out how fast they fall from the tournament ---the first 5min in the tourny about 2000 players are gone the first half hour 6000-7000 players gone (then the starts to settle down a bit) I'm not saying sit out ---WATCH THE ACTION ---- Only play your very strong hand AA-KK --maybe AK suited you decide---never get too agressive with them --yes I'm saying get in to the hand as cheep as possible you wanna see a flop ---its easier to determine how your hand will hold up (Ive never folded pocket AA or KK preflop however) but i have after the flop.---This can get long winded -My goal was to just qualify for the Premier League where the play is much more professional for the most part.GL BOSS

Old
Thu Jun 21, 2012, 12:51 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi buddyzee!

I try not to take a coin-flip until I'm down to 2-3BB... any earlier would cost me points, as I could easily get KO'd from the tourney. Patience is a very large key in playing poker and that is one thing that these tourneys teach very well... as without patience, it will be hard to consistantly gain league points.

John (JWK24)

Thanks John, I will heed your advice and change my play for this type of tourney. Here's looking at a July bump to Premier.

Old
Fri Jun 22, 2012, 03:26 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyzee View Post
Here is my frustration lately...I am doing ok most months staying in the top 2000 people ( dont laugh at that I only play 21:00 games mostly ). Anyway if this is a poker school then why are there so many people who dont care to learn and make themselves better...why so many shove monkeys and bingo players. I try to only play power hands at the start but it seems ( 5 wins with pocket A's in 36 attempts) I keep getting donked out with crap a lot. If you check my progress every game that I am out early in was either a even match coin flip or donked out with the vast majority donking. It gets frustrated because I know I am better then what this shows but I cant seem to get out of this rutt. I am a serious learner wanting to improve my game and I am starting to do pretty good with some tourneys and SnG's. Do you think the best bet ( pun intended ) is to fold even the strongest hands until the shove monkeys and donks are out and then try to build my stack back up from that point.

Cheers and hope someone can help

Also keep in mind that the Open Skill League is exactly that---OPEN.

Most of the players that register are EXACTLY what you asked about---shove monkeys and bingo players. They don't know about the school,wouldn't care about it if they did know and aren't concerned with anything beyond it's another freeroll that they can play in and try to luckbox their way into something of some worth. These being a direct pay set of freerolls instead of the 2 step nature of the Astronomers (win ticket,THEN play Weekly Round 2 to try and win $...) makes it even more enticing for them.

Hey, if one donks 2 pennies they can register in a .02 990...

Old
Fri Jun 22, 2012, 10:14 PM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2010
Quote:

Hey, if one donks 2 pennies they can register in a .02 990...
Been there seen it and done it

Old
Fri Jun 22, 2012, 10:37 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2010
SilverStar
Time bank. Fold. Repeat.

Old
Sat Jun 23, 2012, 01:45 PM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2012
I've seen players in teh rank that have got at least 1100/10000 of the last 5 games. Certainly they're not waiting for aces, since I do that and they don't come every tournament.
I was just curious about how they were playing. Cuz if no good hand comes, u'll usually finish around 1200 or 1300.

Old
Fri Jun 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
(#11)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburglarid View Post
Time bank. Fold. Repeat.
Exactly!!

Do this each hand until ITM. Only execption AA, KK, (maybe QQ, AKs) but even they need discretion when being played. There's no law that says AA & KK must win, so be prepared to lay them them down if you know they're beat.

As JWK24 said, once ITM and most of the donks are out, you can start playing real tournament poker! Widen range accordingly, leverage position and STEAL as many blinds and uncontested pots when you sense weakness so that you can accumulate those chips.

My best tip: When opening the pot preflop its not uncommon to see bets of 3x, 4x, 5x.... heck I saw someone open for 11x today! Which I think is rather pointless considering the nature of opponents you're facing. If they want to play QTo, they're gonna play it. A 2.5x bet and a 5x bet will have the same effect. So why over commit chips? I never open for more than 3x, almost always go for 2.5x. You'll find that when you're deep and the stacks are shallow relative to the orbits, even a will get guys to fold.
However, if you're 3 or 4 betting, then I let the pot size determine the bet size. Your 3 bet should tell your opponents, 'I mean business!'.

Finally, you're going to have to be comfortable with any strategy you employ. It can be frustrating to have Aces cracked or have a set outdrawn but it happens. Just shrug it off and wait for the next tourney. Remind yourself that you're trying to play correct poker, they're trying to get lucky.

Last edited by mkenyahalisi; Fri Jun 29, 2012 at 02:09 PM..

Old
Fri Jun 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
The open league is a funny tourney. You have people playing for points for the month and you have people who play for the chance at 2 cents. It is this mix that makes it frustrating. I play for the points so I slow play most hands but i see all the time players betting on nothing. If you check the leader board half the players don't show so they are playing for the chance to win 2 ccents. I stay away from them whenever possible. They play different and harder to read with all their action.

Right now im 500 something and i'm just trying to get into the top 500. Im happy with that. After all this tourney is open to anyone.

Take your time but have a good time!!!

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 10:48 AM
(#13)
Uh, ITM is top 90 in the open league, so you cannot time bank yourself to the top 90 in the open league, it's just not possible. You have to have over 100K in chips to make it to the money. Waiting until you are in the points, though, before taking any risks is easily possible, on the other hand.

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 02:37 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
"Uh, ITM is top 90 in the open league"

Only on a per tournament basis, the real money is in the monthly prizes and clock folding is a good strategy to achieve this.

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 02:53 PM
(#15)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by IroncladMerc View Post
Uh, ITM is top 90 in the open league, so you cannot time bank yourself to the top 90 in the open league, it's just not possible. You have to have over 100K in chips to make it to the money. Waiting until you are in the points, though, before taking any risks is easily possible, on the other hand.
Actually, if you check the tourney info in the lobby, ITM is higher than 90. For instance, with 10k entries the money starts 1440 but only the top 90 are getting paid since $10 can't be split 1400 ways and be substantial.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com