Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

TURBO or Not to TURBO?

Old
TURBO or Not to TURBO? - Wed Jun 20, 2012, 09:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
So i was never a fan of Turbo Mtts, i'm still not sure that i'm a fan of them, but i have been playing them alot more lately and having some small success.

I no we haven't got the luxury of 15min levels or even 10 min levels, which most of us are used to and comfortable with. So we have to, by nature be a little more active than normal Mtts, would you agree??

I guess that's my question here, has any1 got strategy's they use in turbo Mtts, or is it just Shove, Fold Game and PRAY, lol..

Early on, i find you can be a little more particular about the hands u want to play, but not for long, you have to get involved, be a little adventurous, open your normal range up a bit also and defo try to double up with your Strong hands.

I do think you need a little more luck in a turbo Mtt than a normal speed Mtt, but at the same time, from what i have seen the past few weeks, a little SKILL also goes a long way in a Turbo, they are not such a rush after all...

Any1s points or suggestions on Turbo Mtts, appreciated.. TY TY

Old
Thu Jun 28, 2012, 04:55 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Well, i just look for coin flip situations. This has gotten me in the money three times and once to the final table. But I believe u need a good "feel" of when to shove and with which cards, so that you're not always in a race. I think the key to victory is shoving, shoving, shoving- lot's of aggression. I believe at best they would call with only 20% of their hands: Axo- any pair.

But I would sure love a pro's suggestions and advice as to go about it. I've been playing the $0.10 turbo and have had little success. I was actually going to post this question.

Last edited by andrei17731; Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 04:57 PM..

Old
Thu Jun 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi all!

I try to approach them the same as I would a normal mtt. The key with turbos, is that I'll get to a shove/fold stack size much quicker, since the blinds go up quicker.
Other than shoving more when my stack size dictates it, I won't be any more or less active in a turbo compared to any other MTT.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 29, 2012, 05:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi all!

I try to approach them the same as I would a normal mtt. The key with turbos, is that I'll get to a shove/fold stack size much quicker, since the blinds go up quicker.
Other than shoving more when my stack size dictates it, I won't be any more or less active in a turbo compared to any other MTT.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
Turbo mtts are my main game and I agree completely with JWK24.Your stack size is key, and it changes fast in the turbos! I play super TAG (11/10 HEM) and see that nearly all the regulars in the 180 man turbos run about the same.

Other than keeping an eye on stack sizes, the most important parts (for me) are recognizing who I can steal/resteal from late in the game, and adjusting my hand ranges according to position.

GL!

Roland GTX

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com