Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

should i call

Old
should i call - Thu Jun 21, 2012, 05:13 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
moved to correct forum=bearxing

i'm not to sure if this is the right place to post this,i have been playing the nlh 25/50 $10 cap tables so i guess it could fit either ,my question doesnt really relate to one particular hand so i understand it may be hard to answer and i am only posting limited examples.
on the tables most players will shove/max bet AA,KK,QQ AK,AQ pre flop i am wanting some advice on how to play hands like this

these are 2 examples i found in the hand history but there is about 10 more with similar ranges and value ,in the example with 88 obviously we are behind preflop and i fold, i made similar lay downs on over 10 occasions of which from memory 9 would have won against 2 opps giving me $20 profit in each hand, in these instances am i better to fold preflop or am i getting good enough price to call. its a bit frustrating laying them down to see youve mucked a winner, but is it the right play or not? any advice would be appreciated ty.

Last edited by bearxing; Thu Jun 21, 2012 at 07:11 AM..

Old
Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:29 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi milehigh,

Generally for hand analysis we ask for only 1 hand per thread, just so any discussion stays clear. I'll answer both of these shortly

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:35 AM
(#3)
(Head Trainer)
Ok so in Hand 1 (88) I this is a call for sure in a cap game unless the villain is a super-nit. Players will be shoving plenty of worse hands over your min-raise open, including some Ax where X<8, and some smaller pairs. Unless we have a super read, this is a call.

Hand 2 (AJ) is an easy fold. The guy behind you 3b's not all in but half his ($10 cap) stack which looks super strong to me, and another player comes back over him for a min-4b to $9, Both these actions look very strong and AJ plays terribly against their ranges in a 3 way all in pot.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:39 AM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh0874 View Post
most players will shove/max bet AA,KK,QQ AK,AQ pre flop.....in the example with 88 obviously we are behind preflop and i fold,
In my experience with the .25-.50 $10 cap games, 88 is not behind here against the shover's range. Your assigned shoving range of QQ+, AQ+ is way too tight. 88 is close, but unless the opponent is known to be really tight, we are generally a small favorite vs his range and getting an overlay from the pot, making this a call for sure against an unknown, and most known players imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
re post - Thu Jun 21, 2012, 08:43 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2011
thnx langolier thought i was playin to tight and givin a bit to much credit to some players

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com