Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

Bass Fishing Opening day 2012

Old
Bass Fishing Opening day 2012 - Fri Jun 22, 2012, 12:51 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
As I sit eagerly waiting for the next 16 hours to pass, I start thinking about techniques, bait, when the last line change on my reel was, start looking at the hooks, making sure to file the rusted ones under "G", looking over my rod, making sure there's no blistering from heat(cracked rods break quickly), make sure my reel has some fresh grease in the gears, I'm going crazy here...lol..

I love bass season!

Favorite Bait- minnows
Favorite Lure- Hula Popper in early am and evening, medium rapala for late am, and afternoon
Favorite Lake- Buck Lake(caught my biggest bass there.)

Get outside and fish, it's fun, and you breathe fresh air...lol

I really think with my playing poker and fishing,I think I just like to play with fish....lol

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 09:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Love bass fishing as well...my favorite bait is minnows, favorite lure is a toss between double willow leaf spinner blade in black red or a wacky rigged pumpkin 6" Yum worm. Favorite lake is either Mississippi Lake or Ottawa River near Arnprior. My biggest bass at 5lbs 8oz was out of Astrolab lake in Logo's land of all places...

I fish for musky, bass, pike, walleye and all trout. Anything else is incidental catches...

Good post Stakehorse

Old
Wed Jun 27, 2012, 12:30 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
DID SOMEBODY SAY BASS FISHING?????? oh please don't get me started here guys...
no bass season here in Jersey, or California where i'm originally from and you can bass fish 12 mos. a year. and i did i fished competitively for several years there against some of the best in the state. Dee Thomas, Bobby Barrak, Ish Monroe, Gary Klein to name a couple. man what a sick name dropper
the cali delta was my main playground, where my best five fish bag was 42lb.11oz. and my biggest LM bass was 11lb. 4 oz monster. caught on a black/ blue jig
i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE night fishing during the summer months when the giants mostly eat... large black jigs, 1/2 oz. black spinnerbaits w/ a single gold #6 colorado blade, a black snagproof frog for the weed mats,and the bait of all baits for the night time giants is a black buzzbait w/ a clear 4 blade prop, all of which (but the frog) i make myself with custom lead molds i also make myself. (anyone noticing a pattern here? )
my biggest smallie is 5 lb. 6 os. in a small lake near tahoe and caught her on a zoom fluke (clear/salt pepper flake) fished weightless and simply nose hooked w/ a gamakatsu dropshot #2 hook, tied w/ a loop knot (for freedom of movement) on 8 lb. "P"line in moss green.
ummmmmm like i said don't get me started...lol anyhow...... have fun this year all you fellow bass nuts!!! good luck and tight lines to you all

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Thu Jun 28, 2012, 06:59 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnestegg View Post
DID SOMEBODY SAY BASS FISHING?????? oh please don't get me started here guys...
no bass season here in Jersey, or California where i'm originally from and you can bass fish 12 mos. a year. and i did i fished competitively for several years there against some of the best in the state. Dee Thomas, Bobby Barrak, Ish Monroe, Gary Klein to name a couple. man what a sick name dropper
the cali delta was my main playground, where my best five fish bag was 42lb.11oz. and my biggest LM bass was 11lb. 4 oz monster. caught on a black/ blue jig
i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE night fishing during the summer months when the giants mostly eat... large black jigs, 1/2 oz. black spinnerbaits w/ a single gold #6 colorado blade, a black snagproof frog for the weed mats,and the bait of all baits for the night time giants is a black buzzbait w/ a clear 4 blade prop, all of which (but the frog) i make myself with custom lead molds i also make myself. (anyone noticing a pattern here? )
my biggest smallie is 5 lb. 6 os. in a small lake near tahoe and caught her on a zoom fluke (clear/salt pepper flake) fished weightless and simply nose hooked w/ a gamakatsu dropshot #2 hook, tied w/ a loop knot (for freedom of movement) on 8 lb. "P"line in moss green.
ummmmmm like i said don't get me started...lol anyhow...... have fun this year all you fellow bass nuts!!! good luck and tight lines to you all

OMG mtnestegg a 42lbs bag for one day??? That is a good three day bag here in Ontario.... Where I live near Ottawa we have a ton of great trout lakes so I grew up fishing for them. Bass fishing I have always done but just recently really started to fish for them consistently and in tourneys. I am still learning the different techniques for them and have really enjoyed wacky rigged and most recently the buzz baits. Top water smashes are like crack to an addict...freaking phenominal. My biggest SM is only 4.2lbs but pretty sure I lost a 6lber on lake Clear here in Ontario. A 11lbs bass is unheard of here in Ontario... Anyway I will be in around 5-6 tourneys this year and will hope to place in a few that are on home waters but last year in 4 tourneys I had 1 first place for $1000 and one 5th for $250. the other two I placed top ten but no payout for them. I am starting to get hooked to this bass fishing thing and my wife says I am obsesed with it....Yeah I am...

Old
Thu Jun 28, 2012, 11:32 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyzee View Post
OMG mtnestegg a 42lbs bag for one day??? That is a good three day bag here in Ontario.... Where I live near Ottawa we have a ton of great trout lakes so I grew up fishing for them. Bass fishing I have always done but just recently really started to fish for them consistently and in tourneys. I am still learning the different techniques for them and have really enjoyed wacky rigged and most recently the buzz baits. Top water smashes are like crack to an addict...freaking phenominal. My biggest SM is only 4.2lbs but pretty sure I lost a 6lber on lake Clear here in Ontario. A 11lbs bass is unheard of here in Ontario... Anyway I will be in around 5-6 tourneys this year and will hope to place in a few that are on home waters but last year in 4 tourneys I had 1 first place for $1000 and one 5th for $250. the other two I placed top ten but no payout for them. I am starting to get hooked to this bass fishing thing and my wife says I am obsesed with it....Yeah I am...
nice finishes buddy. ya the cali delt is like a mecca for big bags and 20-25lbs is the norm for itm finishes. i've caught 11 bass over 10 lbs. and crack couldn't possibly compare to a 8-10lb.er smashing your buzzbait.
here's a lil tip for your buzzers (and blades too for that matter) for my buzz i like a twin tail black grub as a trailer (i think they think its a frog, but who really cares as long as the crush it the wat they do ) , and never ever ever ever throw a buzz or blade w/o a trailer hook, and the bigger the better!! (4/0 or 5/0) you'll be pickin' off weeds alot but WELL worth the effort i assure you. my custom buzzbaits are jointed and inline as well so they have a tough time trowin' the bait when they jump (and they WILL jump)
the best technique i've found to minimize them throwin' the bait on conventional buzzbaits is when you see the line racing up, (them coming up to jump) just jam 1/2 your rod straight down in the water and keep realin' .
my best buddy (who's not with us any more,) but he caught a 17lb. bohemuth on the fluke combo i already mentioned and came within 5 oz. of the lake record where he caught her. (tip) let it sink and sink and sink. this take time and excruciating patience but again WELL worth it then just give it little tiny twitches every 15-20 seconds, and when you feel ANY weight on the line, (you won't normally as this rig is weightless and almost feels like you're just draggin' just line through the water.) just set the hook and 9 times outa 10 there's a fish there. also use your graph and fish this rig over super structure (google if you don't know what it is)
see???? now you got me goin' again...lol
if you'd like to discuss more techniques and such feel free to private message me. i'm pretty free with my info nowadays as i don't tourney fish any more (time and family constraints) but still get out when i can and am still thoroughly addicted!! (couldn't tell, could ya? )
tight lines men!! , MT

Old
Thu Jun 28, 2012, 07:52 PM
(#6)
MT...excellent info. As for the trailer hook on the buzz bait I never thought of that. I will give it a try. Now when you go worm way what do you prefer?? I like to use some O rings to keep the bait on longer but how would you keep the worm on longer for a texas rig or carolina rigged??

Thanks MT I appreciate the great info. Oh and I want to fish some of these lakes you are getting 11 and 17lbs bass on

Old
Fri Jun 29, 2012, 08:44 AM
(#7)
the way i fish a soft plastic worm and type of worm is completely situationally dependent, but to answer your question on how to keep it on the hooks better is always the same.
i use a bent shank worm hook (Gamakatsu) agian size is dependent on worm or bug size. then, well, you know those lil rubberbands they use for orthodontic braces? just slide one of those lil suckers over the hook and up the line then just put the worm on weedless (i'm sure u know what i'm talking about) then just roll the rubberband back down over the worm just past the hook eye.(a pair of "D" ring pliars also works great for this) that keeps em really secure when dragging em through weeds, brush, etc. pros been doin' this for years. but i'll fish a worm however the fish most want it wacky, carolina, texas, dropshot, whatever.
tight lines, and sceamin' drags!!!
stop me before i write an essay

Old
bass - Fri Jul 27, 2012, 05:46 AM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2012
i like a lot of fishing my self ferox brown trout i go for wild browns i use minnow also real cool bait i use a black fury mepps spiner deadly combo for pike trout /perch

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com