Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

90 man bubble

Old
90 man bubble - Fri Jun 22, 2012, 03:24 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
SilverStar

This is on the bubble of a 90 man sit and go. I think this is standard, but I want to see what others think.

Old
Fri Jun 22, 2012, 06:42 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi hamburglarid!

With this being the bubble, I want to accumulate chips whenever possible and to not put myself at risk when doing so, as I can't win a tourney if I first don't get ITM.

When it folds to me with A5s, I want to see where I am in relation to the other stacks. There is one shorter stack at my table, plus however many there are at the other table.
Also, the BB has a larger stack than me, so that if I play a hand with them and lose, I'll be KO'd from the tourney.

If the BB was a shorter stack than me, I'd definitely be shoving here, but with me being the one that could be at risk, I'd muck and pass on this one, get ITM or a better hand, then shove my chips in. I still have almost 17BB in front of me if I muck, which is a very playable stack and should easily get me ITM.

A5s, is by no means a lock here, as I'd be slightly less than a 60-40 favorite even against ATC. If the BB would call with a top 35% hand, then I'm 50-50 and if they have a better than top 35% hand, I'm favored to be KO'd from the tourney and not get ITM. Larger stacks are also more likely to call here, and I really don't want to have to play the hand for my tourney live with a marginal hand.

Due to this, I'll muck and look for a better spot, either with a better hand or in position. I want to be playing hands at the bubble against shorter stacks that are trying to survive (so that I can steal chips easier), not against larger stacks that could KO me (unless I have a very strong hand against the larger stacks).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com