Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2 NL 6 Max TPGK turn and river dilema

Old
2 NL 6 Max TPGK turn and river dilema - Sat Jun 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Villain twotime055 was 91/7 after 46 hands. AF: 5.2

Basically, his strategy was to limp to see flops and play aggressive if the board hits him.

Previous notes of him:
1) PF shove 55, won opponent's A4s
2) called my big river bet w his 94o on coordinated board T2J9Q (3clubs), my KJ won

Flop: He donk bets, I thought he could be on a flush draw while I had 2 overcards so I called. He could have anything.

Turn: He donk bets small, could be a block bet for flush draw. I hit TPGK thus I raised it up for value. If he was on flush draw, or held a Ten, he might still call. However, he re-raised me. My alarm bells go off. Thought he might be stealing over here, so I called.

River: Good card for us since the flush didn't get there. He could have hit a gutshot if he held 87, but I just thought it was unlikely. This time he donk bets, shoving.
I felt super uncomfortable, thought my TPGK would most likely be beat. But the curious side of me convinced me that he could be bluffing or shoving with anything.

I would have most likely folded the river, maybe 70% of the time, but the emotional side got better and I called. Would you have made the call at the turn and river given his history and the stand he was taking for this hand? What's your take for this?

Old
Sun Jun 24, 2012, 11:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi TW,

Fold this directly on the flop imo. Your read is: and play aggressive if the board hits him. He takes an aggressive action of donking into you, and then you reason: I thought he could be on a flush draw...He could have anything. Those don't really mesh.

Maybe he's got a flush draw, maybe he's got a made hand, either way your equity is not great and you can't really expect him to slow down on later streets since he's hyper aggro post flop.

For a guy that's hyper-aggro, I wouldn't raise this turn because he'll simply fold worse and reraise with a range of hands that are beating us or drawing, we won't know which, and I don't think we can profitably get it in here with top pair. I think the better line is to call again for pot control, and to induce... hyper aggro players are good to induce against when we have decent 1 pair hands.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com