Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Advice

Old
Advice - Mon Jun 25, 2012, 03:46 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Well the advice I received just over a week ago from Edinfreeman and others is certainly working - into the top 500 in a week, thanks a lot guys. (See post "folding AKs" about a week ago).

Mike

Old
Mon Jun 25, 2012, 05:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
***Moved***

Hi Mike,

Congrats on getting into the top 500, good job!

I moved your thread into here as it relates to the Skill Leagues so that others that play in these leagues might see it and post there comments to.

I have limited league experience but I do see Edin regularly high up in the standings and when he posts advice on the leagues I'd personally take it on board, he been there, wore the t-shirt so to speak.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the remaining of the month at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 25, 2012, 05:16 AM
(#3)
In saying that, I just ignored the advice this morning, went all in with aces early and lost to Jacks which hit a straight, despite catching another ace on the flop. Oh well, you live and learn...

Old
Mon Jun 25, 2012, 05:28 AM
(#4)
What not to do early in a skill league tourney...

Old
Mon Jun 25, 2012, 12:56 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2012
Yeah, we all make mistakes like this. but we immediately learn from them, due to the strike of the negative points lol.

Keep the good game
Good Luck !

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 06:11 AM
(#6)
Thanks fp-boss - yeah, followed it up the following day with two ultra careful top thousand scores

Cheers

Mike

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 04:10 AM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2011
Should I use the same strategy in qualifier tournaments as open? wait for AA and KK? or do I have to play poker as the levels are 10 mins long?

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 05:50 AM
(#8)
Hi Jamster81, I only played a couple of the qualifiers, and found them a bit like bingo. I think you still have to wait a bit, but with fast rising blinds you will always have to take a few more risks to at least stay around average stack. I normally try to take those risks based on position, and not cards. The point is, I've lost as many times with AA as I have with lesser holdings, so I usually wait until the table folds to my button, then try and steal with anything. If you find the guy to your left is a bit safe, you can do the same from the cut off. Watch the three places to your left very carefully for a few hands, and work out if the players are safe or aggressive.

So early on, I'll tend to just play those two positions, plus any blinds I can get away with cheaply. This way, I'm getting a look at some flops, which gives me a chance of catching something, with any two cards.

Then, if the hand is checked to me, I'll always c-bet 3x, to try to take the pot. Even then, I'm not interested in the cards, only the position and the other players' styles. I find this technique wins a lot more than it loses. If your c-bet gets called, and you have nothing, time to bale out. Occasionally, the cards go against you, then there's nothing you can do.

And as I say, I'll do it with any two cards. But I fold occasionally in these positions sometimes, even the button, to keep people guessing.

This might not work on tables where there are a number of aggressive players, where you have no option but to tighten up and wait.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 06:31 AM
(#9)
As an example, everyone folds to me on the button, I have 7clubs, 3spades. I raise 3x. Hopefully, the blinds lay down, I win them.

Say BB calls, and we go to a flop, and it comes A, 3, 2 diamonds. If the bb checks, I would always c-bet 3x. Hopefully he lies down, and I win. This usually happens, with me, more than half the time, probably 75% of the time, so over time, I'm making more than I lose.

If he calls again, alarm bells start ringing, and now I'm thinking about cards and what he might have. He might already have made a flush, and I can only answer this question by having observed him over time, and knowing how he plays his made hands on the flop. If he normally bets made hands there, I'm figuring he has a flush draw, so I'll launch another barrel at him, and make sure it's the wrong odds for him to chase his flush. (There's nothing you can do here with people who have no poker knowledge at all, who will often call in this situation with back door draws - but we can't really base our play on everyone being a rookie).

Note that I have the chance to improve as well by now - I can turn trips, two pair, I even have an outside shot at a full house right now!

So, he calls the flop bet, the turn comes 9spades. It didn't help his flush draw, so I often bet again here, especially against a loose player. If he calls again, and the river comes, say K clubs, I would worry, against a rookie, that he's actually hung in with K2 or something mad, (I've seen rookies hang in calling big raises with 7,2off, chasing a single card, and even calling the showdown river raise when it hasn't come!)

In the above scenario, which I've played many times, or something similar, the third barrel on the river has won quite often for me, with the opponent laying down because they missed their draw. I've also sometimes lost when he turns over something like A9, and has slow played the top pr, because he had a read on me. In such situations, I make a note that this player reads me, so will play him differently in a similar situation in future.

What I'm describing here is a loose aggressive style that is really useful at tables where everyone is playing safe, waiting on a monster. Beware, on other kinds of tables, it will quickly lose you chips, It's all about learning to read the table.

Cheers

Mike

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com