Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Calling a shove when low stacked

Old
Smile
Calling a shove when low stacked - Mon Jun 25, 2012, 07:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
Playing $7-00 single table sit and go. five players left . Blinds 200/100 I have 1300 and short stack. Am in the big blind when SB (2800)shoves all in. He has a fairly tight range and I have 7/6 suited. I call with my reasoning being that with a CSI of just over 4 this is my best option. He turns over A/Q off suit and the board finishes with me having two pair. I got a fair bit of abuse for my play. Any thoughts?

Old
Mon Jun 25, 2012, 09:08 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
According to my nash charts (which is what I often use in game when in doubt) 7 6 suited only becomes an unexploitable call around 5-6 big blinds deep. Also these do not account for your opponents range. If the guy was tight I guess this would tip it even more towards the fold, but I don't think it was a terrible play.
Rob.

Old
Mon Jun 25, 2012, 11:45 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi tally49!

To find out if I should call, I need to see if the pot equity is higher or lower than my hand equity. I put 67o vs AQo into pokerstove, I get 41.16% hand equity. With any player, though, the key is to put their entire range into it... for a tighter player I'll normally assign a top 10% hand. This gives my 67s a hand equity of 33.7%.

To call, I need to put 1300 into a pot that will be 2600 (50%).

Since the pot equity is higher than the hand equity, I'll muck 67s in this situation as I expect to lose 16.3% of my chips on average each and every time, and look for a hand where I have a +EV play, especially one where I'm the favorite in the hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JWK24; Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: range info for equity

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com