Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Wasting my time

Old
Wasting my time - Tue Jun 26, 2012, 04:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
It's just struck me that "prior month" might refer to the month before this one, and not this one we're currently playing when it comes to VPP. I thought that it meant "the month we've just played" and so when we get to the end of the month, the VPP's I earned in that month would count towards the league, but my 20vpp's haven't appeared next to my name in the league so I fear the worst.

If this is not the case then I've been wasting my time trying to qualify this month. That would be a shame and would mean the situation is that new players can't qualify from the league in the first month.

Could someone confirm this for me?

Thanks

Mike

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 05:00 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hi mgc1959,

Nice to meet you!

You are right in what you state above that for June you need to have earned the VPP's in May, the prior month.

If you earn over 20 VPP's in June that will count towards July's games and will qualify you for a prize should you finish high enough in the Leaderboard.

Here's a link that will answer all your questions.

Good luck in the leagues!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 05:13 AM
(#3)
Can I suggest that you make this a little clearer in the info?

I didn't catch on until recently and I've been trying really hard for the last week to qualify for the league ignorant of the fact that I was wasting my time. As you'll see, I'm currently standing at 420. And my VPP's for this month are over 20, so I thought I was fulfilling the criteria.

I don't think the use of the word "prior" is clear enough in the info - it could mean two different things - the month prior to this one, meaning last month, or this month, once you reach the end of it, which is the interpretation I made, based on the assumption that things would start when you signed up to them, and the "waiting the month" thing wouldn't actually make any sense.

It is really frustrating to find this out after all the efforts I've made in the past week.

So now, I just stop playing until the start of the next month, and that's not really encouraging people to play or learn, really.

Not happy.

Mike

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 05:24 AM
(#4)
And can you explain to me why you can't start to qualify for the league until the month following the one you sign up? What's the thinking behind that?

If it's to encourage people to play more real money games to earn VPP's, then it does that anyway, as can be seen from what I've done in the past week. In fact, I wouldn't have bothered playing those games to get VPP's if I didn't think I needed them, when my goal was qualification. So the month differential between the two things make no sense to me.

Maybe there's another more logical reason for it I can't figure.

Mike

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 05:32 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2010
Hang on Mike - don't give up - I think there is some confusion here.

My understanding is this.

If you make 20+VPPs THIS month and finish in the top 500 players (top 500 who also make 20+VPPs so probably lower than 500 in the actual placings) of the Open Skill League you WILL qualify for next month's Premier Skill League.

However - VPPs also affect your PRIZE level - this is determined by the previous/prior months VPPs.

So your current month prize will be determined by the VPPs from last month - under 20+VPPs - and however many you collect this month will not affect this month's payout.

The prize level for next month will be determined by this month's VPPs - so if you are in the Open Skill League next month with 20+VPPs earned this, you will get the increased prizes.

If you are in the Premier Slill League next month with 20+VPPs you will be on the lower prize scale for the Premier, unless you gain 150+VPPs this month which will get you the maximum.

I believe this is how it works - but PSO staff will need to clarify and confirm this.

Good luck

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 05:42 AM
(#6)
Hi Ed

Thanks, mate, that would make much more sense, I guess, because it would encourage those who qualify for the higher league to continue to play the open league for prize money.

It isn't very clear in the info, this differentiation between prize money and qualification, if it turns out to be the case.

Thanks again for your help, as you can see from my league position, your advice is the dogs whatsits.

Mike

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 06:10 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc1959 View Post
Hi Ed

Thanks, mate, that would make much more sense, I guess, because it would encourage those who qualify for the higher league to continue to play the open league for prize money.

It isn't very clear in the info, this differentiation between prize money and qualification, if it turns out to be the case.

Thanks again for your help, as you can see from my league position, your advice is the dogs whatsits.

Mike
The other info you need here Mike, is that IF you qualify for the Premier League - you are automatically awarded a ticket for the next month and will be eligible for Prizes there. You will still be able to play in the Open Skill League tournaments but you will not be scored for the Open Leaderboard when you are in the Premier League, so cannot pick up prizes in both Leagues.

As aresult, some players who regularly make between 20VPPs (but not 150+VPPs), decide not to play at all in the Premier League as they cannot get the maximum prizes, so they guarantee a 'relegation' and they just play alternate months in the Open Skill League for the higher level prizes.

Good luck

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 07:35 AM
(#8)
I see, I guess 150VPP's is a tad high. I comfortably made 20 in a week, but over time it would take some commitment. Maybe they should have the lower prizes in the premier league equivalent to the higher ones in the open, to encourage the better players to stay in the premier.

Old
Confirmation - Tue Jun 26, 2012, 09:56 AM
(#9)
Could someone confirm that Ed is right?

Thanks

Mike

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 10:38 AM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Mike!

Ed is correct. A player can only earn prizes in one league per month. Players that qualify for the Premier would only be eligible for the premier prizes and not one from a lower league.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 11:00 AM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Mike!

The number for vpp's that determine your status for next month are the ones that are earned this month.

A player's status for this month is determined by how many vpp's they earned last month.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 12:24 PM
(#12)
Hi John

That's not what I was meaning, I'm looking for confirmation that earning 20vvp's and getting in the top five hundred in the open league in the same month is enough to qualify for the premiere league.

Cheers

Mike

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 12:32 PM
(#13)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc1959 View Post
I'm looking for confirmation that earning 20vvp's and getting in the top five hundred in the open league in the same month is enough to qualify for the premiere league.

Cheers

Mike
Correct, earning 20 vpps and getting top 500 in the open league this month will qualify you for the premiere league ticket next month.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
(#14)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Mike!

It may not necessarily be just the top 500.... it's the top 500 players that have 20VPP's. Some of the players that are in the top 500 won't have the 20vpp's.

ex: if 40 of the top 500 don't have 20vpp, then the next 40 highest rated players ranked above 500th will also get in.

If you are ranked in the top 500 and have 20vpp... you will be qualified for the premier next month.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 01:04 PM
(#15)
Thanks John, that clears it up.

I was confused over the description "prior month" in the league info. I started to wonder if the rules that applied to the prizes also applied to qualifying, (meaning you would have to have earned 20vpp's the previous month to qualify), but they don't, so that's great.

Cheers

Mike

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
(#16)
BTW, my confusion arose from the fact that the 20VPP's get listed in the leagues, but they obviously only count towards the prizes, and not to qualifying. It is a tad confusing. Or maybe that's just me

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 01:33 PM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2008
Its been like this since it started.

Old
Wed Jun 27, 2012, 10:11 PM
(#18)
Since: Jul 2010
So why not play the premiere qualifier? $1.10 buy in and 12 places pay out of the 84 that started tonight at 7 pm est.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com